Blue Plastic Tracks
The Strange and Unusual - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Toys/Other (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-37.html)
+--- Forum: Real world trains (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: The Strange and Unusual (/thread-1744.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Strange and Unusual - Super - 04-28-2016

The strange and unusual....real trains...

How does it stay up???

[Image: 2f17ce0_zpsehu97bgq.jpg]

Does it Fly???

[Image: 608_6b8a987835_z_zps8okyzdzy.jpg]

Mr. Bug???

[Image: 8b4f0a93044f1f42ad_zpsbcx0zhxw.jpg]

Need I say more???

[Image: 8d3b7b1654_zpsl47qdtwk.jpg]

Mad Max???

[Image: be0ca452faa_zpsyvi2jrii.jpg]

I'm leaving on a Jet Plane...er...Train

[Image: b093b9a5_zpsecalqt2m.jpg]

Do you know of any strange and unusual real trains???

RE: The Strange and Unusual - Miksolo - 04-28-2016

The last picture looks a lot like "the jet train" from the online indie educational cartoon, Shawn the Train...
At least as far as I can remember. I didn't think it was based on a real thing.

I saw the one episode with it in it and cringed the whole way thru.. Heh.. Wasn't really for me.

RE: The Strange and Unusual - Nigels - 04-28-2016

That first one is truly crazy, just hope the driver never says "if you look out the .... window you can see... Oh crap!!"

As for 'Mr Bug' that is a truly lovely engine, used to be run by the German railways and was their competitor to the British and other 'streamlined' expresss steam loco's. You can get some lovely models in HO gauge, for a price... Smile

RE: The Strange and Unusual - DalaGStanator - 04-28-2016

1: Is that like an early concept of a Monorail? It looks like it's supported by humans walking inside its rear end, like driving a Cozy Coupe.

2: Why's it got a propeller? Is it even powerful enough to drive it?

3: That one just looks idiotic. No comment.

4: Imagine if Filmore were redesigned like that..

5: What's this, a bulldozer?

6: ...

RE: The Strange and Unusual - Super - 04-28-2016

(04-28-2016, 08:02 PM)DalaGStanator Wrote: 5: What's this, a bulldozer?

Its a snow plow I think

(04-28-2016, 07:29 PM)Nigels Wrote: As for 'Mr Bug' that is a truly lovely engine, used to be run by the German railways and was their competitor to the British and other 'streamlined' expresss steam loco's. You can get some lovely models in HO gauge, for a price... Smile

Thats interesting, would you happen to have a link for any of the models?

RE: The Strange and Unusual - ROKMAN1445 - 04-28-2016

1: It uses a giant gyroscope. The idea was scrapped due to a very low popularity rate and due to complexity.
2: It does not. It was to achieve high speeds. It was not used due to the propellor being to close to a trailing coach.
3: A streamlined DR locomotive. Looks quite nice.
4: I dunno.
5: A heavy duty snowplow.
6: An attempt to make the slower RDC units faster. It cost too much and was dangerous.

RE: The Strange and Unusual - Nigels - 04-29-2016

Here's a nice cheap static diecast version of mr bug (its a DRB Class 01.1) Mr Bug

You can get HO and maybe N gauge versions made by Fleishmann or Roco but they are around the £200 mark but incredibly detailed Big Grin

and a real one; [Image: 300px-01-1102-am-12-09-09-SEH.jpg]

RE: The Strange and Unusual - Super - 04-29-2016

That is an awesome train, thanks for the links. If I had an HO layout I would surely have one of these as I love the strange and unusual lookers. I just love the bug look and when I first saw it I was thinking it was some strange diesel but with the smoke stack, odd looking smoke deflectors and that massive tender its a steamer for sure. The picture of the Fleischmann HO train (below) has the massive 4-6-2 wheels covered and look at that tender, 10 wheels.

This train reminds me of one of the earlier designs by Plarail. Pictured below you will see what is called the ET-300-1 Express which I have been told is not modeled after any real train. If you added some bug wing smoke deflectors on the top and a large covered tender this Plarail would resemble the German DRB Class 01.01 in my opinion.

RE: The Strange and Unusual - Nigels - 04-29-2016

I actually had a typo in my earlier post its a class 01.10 in case we got any rivet counters watching lol!

I agree that is a good body to start with and with the right mods could well make a good example.

I have to say I've wanted one of the HO versions for years, although I'd probably go for the Roco version as they IMHO are even more detailed and run much more smoothly

RE: The Strange and Unusual - DalaGStanator - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 09:45 AM)Super Wrote: That is an awesome train, thanks for the links. If I had an HO layout I would surely have one of these as I love the strange and unusual lookers. I just love the bug look and when I first saw it I was thinking it was some strange diesel but with the smoke stack, odd looking smoke deflectors and that massive tender its a steamer for sure. The picture of the Fleischmann HO train (below) has the massive 4-6-2 wheels covered and look at that tender, 10 wheels.

This train reminds me of one of the earlier designs by Plarail. Pictured below you will see what is called the ET-300-1 Express which I have been told is not modeled after any real train. If you added some bug wing smoke deflectors on the top and a large covered tender this Plarail would resemble the German DRB Class 01.10 in my opinion.

You're absolutely right! It might actually be possible that that Plarail engine was partially influenced by it. It's also somewhat similar to "Marklin" (the unofficial nickname for that black background engine that was used in the first season of Thomas). That, or Darth Vader as a locomotive.