Blue Plastic Tracks
Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Modification Guides (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod (/thread-2099.html)

Pages: 1 2

Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - WoodWheel92 - 10-22-2016

(EDIT: Just now noticed I didn't post in the "Modification Gallery" area. How would I move this post there?)

I like the new Trackmaster track system. Really, I do. It's sturdy, it doesn't fall apart when you pick it up, it's a realistic (or at least more-true) color and appearance to that seen in the show and in real life... for the most part, it's good.

But those points... there's nothing wrong with the points themselves, or how they function, but the switch levers are what bugs me. They stick out so far, they make it impossible to have two tracks side-by-side and any points facing out and away. That silly lump of silver plastic always gets in the way. I get that it's meant for children, who might have trouble switching tracks in the same way as the previous lines, meant for smaller hands, not meant to be totally realistic, etc ... but for my purposes, they had to go.

So I cut off the little nobby switch things.
The tracks work now as I want them to, which is super.

[Image: WIN_20161021_16_37_45_Pro_zpszf6eucfs.jpg]

[Image: WIN_20161021_17_40_02_Pro_zpshdxblitt.jpg]

[Image: WIN_20161021_17_40_35_Pro_zpsn8kbu9qa.jpg]

...so many many nobby switch things....

...And, I bet with a little brown paint for the sleepers, they'll look even better Smile

Has anyone else taken it upon themselves to modify any of the new 'Revolution' Trackmaster track?

RE: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - Super - 10-22-2016

Very nice job. They do look a lot better now.

RE: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - DalaGStanator - 10-22-2016

To me, that was the only disadvantage of having an actual switch for the points (something I feel they should've done in Plarail or TrackMaster 1 at some point as well). The idea itself is actually an improvement IMO, even though it does limit what can be done with the points. On the other hand, this mod does give the track a better physical appearance as well as better usage options in layouts. Pity the new engines and rolling stock are nowhere near as good as the new track system (which would've been even better with better quality). As you said, I bet if the rails were repainted silver and the sleepers chocolate brown, it would've looked just like the track in the CGI series. Its normal colour, though, is not bad either.

RE: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - Ucwepn - 10-22-2016

Moved this thread to modification guides Smile

RE: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - WoodWheel92 - 10-24-2016

Thanks for the feedback! Not sure what I should go about painting the sleepers and rail tops with. I was thinking acrylic paint for the sleepers, seems like the easiest option, but not sure how to go about the rails.

I'm also debating whether or not I'd like to modify the points (first photo in first post, right side) to make them like those classic Tomy Z switches? Two continuous lines, two switches instead of going from one line to two?
I was able to get away with using a box-opener knife with the points... but what sort of knife could I use on the track itself?

RE: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - Super - 10-24-2016

I have not had any Trackmaster 2 tracks in my hands but from what I have seen from videos aren't they pretty bendable or easily twisted? If so all your painting efforts might be in vain as paint might not adhere well enough to hold and may start to flake and chip away leaving an ugly mess. Wit all the work you would have to do it may be worth it to use a test piece and run that for a bit. With all painting on plastic the best results comes from the preparations. Plastic has a release agent used in the manufacturing that allows for the finish product to be easily removed from its mold. This release agent, not seen, if not cleaned off will hinder the bond between paint and plastic.

RE: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - WoodWheel92 - 12-10-2016

How could one go about removing this release agent?

RE: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - Miksolo - 12-10-2016

I do know that some have painted this sort o track before. A user in the Thomas Creator Collective that I don't know the name of uses Trackmaster Revolution track, but from a distance you could barely tell it was that, due to the heavy paintjob on it, making the sleepers brown, ties silver, etc. Although, once you notice or if you know it's TMR, it isnt hard to see, but it still looks really good.

RE: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - DalaGStanator - 12-10-2016

(12-10-2016, 03:39 PM)Miksolo Wrote: A user in the Thomas Creator Collective that I don't know the name of uses Trackmaster Revolution track, but you could barely tell it was that, due to the heavy paintjob on it, making the sleepers brown, ties silver, etc.

Really? I had no idea someone already did that. Please provide screenshots if you remember the episode. Hopefully it looks as nice as it sounds.

RE: Trackmaster Revolution Track Point Mod - Miksolo - 12-10-2016

(12-10-2016, 05:45 PM)DalaGStanator Wrote: Really? I had no idea someone already did that. Please provide screenshots if you remember the episode. Hopefully it looks as nice as it sounds.

I've edited my original post as my memory is a bit bad. It's not spectacular, but it definitely is good, and i was just a bit oblivious when I first saw it. Once you know it's TMR track, it's easy to tell.