Blue Plastic Tracks
Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Takara/TOMY/Plarail/Tomica world (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? (/thread-3512.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? - Super - 01-30-2019

Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set?

I think this vintage Ferry Boat set is better than the modern ones especially the Trackmaster II one. Anybody have more info on this as I am having a hard time locating anything like the year of release. The older Tomy Logo and metal cog driven motor would seem to indicate a release anywhere from 1967 to 1981.  I also found it curious that the On/Off swotch is on the bottom.  I would love to see a video of it in action. I like those space needles too.

[Image: 67zdnwz6152608.jpg]  [Image: 6rgy21i167488.jpg]    [Image: 44469i4s0gs153375.jpg]        [Image: 8844465qyugit163090.jpg]  [Image: 9mfpdki167488.jpg]

Although not the same exact set, I did manage to find a video. So there are at least 2 versions. I love how the tracks has simulated 'waves'. Curious that the Theme for this set is the USA. According to Corona (maker of video) the rotating tower on one end was not part of the other set.

RE: Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? - sunhuntin - 01-30-2019

what a gorgeous set! great find on the video, super. dont recall seeing anything like it before.

RE: Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? - MuddyPoppins - 01-30-2019

Awesome!!

RE: Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? - sunhuntin - 02-18-2019

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tomy-Shuttling-FerryBoat-New-York-Los-Angeles-dist-by-Woolworth-W-OB/292767316066?hash=item442a4ab862:g:gnUAAOSwaY9bv36q

RE: Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? - Super - 02-18-2019

Oh WOW...thanks for the heads up Sun.

The Seller makes note and it says right on the box that this was released by the Woolworth Store originally here in the States for this New York to Los Angles version. The Seller also makes note of something funny and I totally missed when when seeing the first video above......how can there be a car Ferry from Los Angeles to New York??? [Image: giggle.gif]

RE: Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? - Off The Rails - 02-18-2019

Based on the design of the Woolworth logo and the presence of a Woolco logo, I would guess this probably came out no later than about 1978.

Super, for around $20 shipped, that was a really good catch!

Thanks to Suns...huntin Smile Heart

I don't see any Tomy or Plarail Logo on the box so it will be interesting to examine it more closely. According to Corona's video above he states its an old Tommy brand (originally what Tomy was called) and not a Plarail. Could have been before Plarail was around.

RE: Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? - Off The Rails - 02-18-2019

Based on my own rusty memory and with some help from Wikipedia, I would say the US release of this toy was almost definitely in the 1970s. The lack of a Tomy logo on the box is probably because Woolworth repackaged it in their own store brand box. It definitely dates to after the release of the first motorized Plarail train in 1961, since Woolco opened in 1962.

Thanks for the research OTR. I am anxious to get the set as they say it looks unused to inspect the box closely along with any paperwork that may come with it for any Manufacturing dates. My biggest concern is the condition of the Trolley. The box does say batteries not included but I hope that the original purchaser didn't try it and leave the batteries in it. By the looks of the video it has the old metal motor but instead of it being friction driven wheels it has cogwheels which I haven't seen too often.

[Image: Unuyttitled.jpg]

RE: Tomy's Original Ferry Boat Set? - sunhuntin - 02-18-2019

glad you got it, super. i didnt even look at the sale price when i found it, or read the description. keen to see photos when it arrives.

i have seen other tomy items where the logo wasnt present on the box. an aussie facebook page recently had listed a tomy shopping mall set. only reason it "pinged" to me was the dolls were the same as those from the merry-go train sets. the box said sears, no tomy logo anywhere.