Blue Plastic Tracks
Branded! - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Show Us What You Bought (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Branded! (/thread-3752.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Branded! - Super - 07-10-2019

Its no secret I am drawn to anything that is 'Branded' with a company or thing that I like. Came across this by accident and was quite surprised. While researching on Ebay for other things I spied at the bottom of a web page, under the recommended item this Tomy branded VW Die Cast bus by Johnny Lightning. I was quite surprised as I don't think I have ever come across a 'Tomy' branded item from an American company before. Have seen a few things from Tomica but not very many even in Japan.

Which brings up this question for everybody...

How many Tomy and Plarail things that you know of that have the Logo advertised on it. I don't think I have seen any with Plarail...have you?

[Image: 003.jpg]

RE: Branded! - Off The Rails - 07-10-2019

That’s cool and quite interesting.

I guess the most obvious examples in Plarail would be locomotives and rolling stock from various Expos. We have some Tomy branded intermodal containers around here, one of which has the old Tomy “two kids” logo. Others simply have Tomy on the sides.

RE: Branded! - sunhuntin - 07-10-2019

that is awesome! will have to try and track one down! nice find, super. well done.

RE: Branded! - leylandvictory2 - 07-11-2019

The original tomy trains and buildings (the ones that resemble Legos) have Tomy logos on them. I guess back then they don't have to resource to secure copyrights from the real train companies .

RE: Branded! - MuddyPoppins - 07-11-2019

That's very cool!
You're right Super, Very few pieces actually have Tomy or Plarail displayed on them except for expo stuff...
These shipping containers do though..
[Image: image.jpg]

RE: Branded! - Finno - 07-11-2019

Cool find Super. I found a page about that model here:
http://mytoycars.blogspot.com/2013/05/johnny-lightning-volkswagen-transporter.html

Interesting they say:
"The Tomy branding represents Johnny Lightning's parent company that took over the company around 2010."

RE: Branded! - Super - 07-11-2019

@Finno
Thanks for that information, that is interesting and a nice commemorative item to celebrate the Tomy acquisition of Johnny Lightning. Gives this van a little more of a story. Wonder why they didn't promote this more in this way. The van has more meaning now, at least to me.

I had forgotten about the branded containers and I think there are a couple that have the Plarail brand in Japanese which in itself is rare. From what I can remember there isn't many trains or rolling stock that have Plarail on them. I do have what could be the only engine with Plarail on it, a remake of the first, fictitious, steam engine by Plarail (see picture below). Anyone know of any more? Which brings up something I have always been curious about...

The Tomy brand is always shown in English whereas the Plarail (& Tomica) is always in Japanese. Wonder why that is? Now...something that I have never seen is...Plarail in English branded on a train...until now. The just released 60th Anniversary, fictitious train, the Red Freighter Limited Express Vehicle has.....Plarail in English emblazoned on its side...wow see picture below. Could this be a Plarail first and only?

[Image: 47.jpg]   

[Image: Unmmtitled.jpg]

RE: Branded! - Off The Rails - 07-11-2019

I was confused for a bit because I remember when Johnny Lighting was revived by Playing Mantis, who purchased the rights to and revived a number of 60s-70s toy and model kit brands. They were bought by Racing Champions and eventually bought back by the Playing Mantis folks, now operating as Round 2. I didn’t realize the Tomy had bought the parent company of Racing Champions before the folks from Playing Mantis/ Round 2 bought many of their nostalgia brands back. *WHEW*! That was confusing enough! Big Grin

RE: Branded! - chrisjo - 07-11-2019

[Image: DSC03457.jpg]

RE: Branded! - Super - 07-11-2019

@Off The Rails
Well that sure is a mind boggling tale, thanks for the info.

@Chrisjo
Good memory Doctor Chris, I had forgotten about that Coach which may be the only other English Plarail branded item.