Blue Plastic Tracks
My temporary layout - Printable Version

+- Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org)
+-- Forum: Blue Plastic Tracks (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-36.html)
+--- Forum: Takara/TOMY/Plarail/Tomica world (https://www.blueplastictracks.org/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: My temporary layout (/thread-5183.html)

My temporary layout - Plarail Man UK - 10-02-2022

So, where's the awesome developed main layout my new bedroom was supposed to have?

Well, a long chain of annoying and unfortunately nessecary delays, along with work, University and some recent health issues making me too tired to do anything of any substance has pretty much nixed development on that for the foreseeable future :/

But if you thought that would stop me from making a couple of temporary lounge circles when I felt like it, then you're wrong Wink

The last couple were built for a cousin's little boy, when he came over, and I'm pleased to report we have a new Plarail and classic-era Thomas (no AEG here Big Grin) convert lol 🤣 PlarailMan Jr. perhaps?

Maybe a little young to jump on BPT yet, but he's getting a nice little selection of Plarail Thomas from 'Uncle Plarail' this year for Christmas Smile(incidentally, his dad was very impressed to hear that what he knew as Tomica World was very much alive and well, with an extensive collectors community)

But, for privacy's sake (and the fact I couldn't part him from the layouts long enough to get clean pictures) I can't really post pictures of those layouts on here.

But the one I built today in my lounge, for me exclusive ly? Let's go! I decided on classic Japanese stock for today, so steam, classic electric and the 100 Series 'shark-nose' Shinkansen.

[Image: IMG-20221002-WA0000.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20221002-WA0003.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221002121132.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221002121153.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221002121214.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221002121245.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221002121258.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221002121315.jpg]

[Image: IMG20221002121323.jpg]

Incidentally, while I'm here, let's talk about the Southward containers from AliExpress - These are absolutely superb!

Take that for what it's worth, because of course they aren't exactly TOMY quality, but for the price point and the level of detailing, plus giving the option for using Western/European style shipping containers on a Plarail layout as a nice alternative to the stock JR style containers that TOMY make, they're brilliant.

No issues with the running either, the wheels turn smoothly and they get around bends and under tunnels and pillars with no trouble at all - If it wasn't for the slightly cheaper feeling plastic, you could truly convince me these were a TOMY design, as evidently Southward have done their homework to make these generally Plarail compatible.

Finally, I think they make a great partner to the Plarail EF66 especially, as the EF66 design was exported to Spain to run with RENFE (Spanish National Railways), where it would have hauled, you guessed it, European style containers!

Maybe there's a neat idea for any of you customisers out there, converting an EF66 to a RENFE 251 Series, with a train of Southward containers for the most authentic rolling stock Smile

[Image: RENFE-251-004-24547003059.jpg]

RE: My temporary layout - Super - 10-02-2022

Very nice quickie Layout P-Man. The container cars do look good in that color. I wouldn't describe them as "Plarail Compatible" though...more like copy cats, knockoffs or intellectual property infringement...lol 😎

RE: My temporary layout - Plarail Man UK - 10-05-2022

[Image: image.png]

3 months of waiting, but i'm convinced it was worth it.

A box of nothing but Plarail gear Wink

Post about it soon Smile

RE: My temporary layout - Plarail Man UK - 10-06-2022

(10-02-2022, 10:09 PM)Super Wrote: Very nice quickie Layout P-Man. The container cars do look good in that color. I wouldn't describe them as "Plarail Compatible" though...more like copy cats, knockoffs or intellectual property infringement...lol 😎

That's an interesting point actually Super, because I'm not exactly sure what category these really fall into myself?

I'd be skeptical of calling them bootlegs if only because they're not technically a direct, or even indirect copy of a TOMY design of wagon, in fact comparing them to all my other freight wagons, they appear to have created their own unique chassis as opposed to copying one. 

The closest match that I've seen is the passenger carriage chassis used on models like Annie/Clarabel, JR Blue coaches etc. but even then it's not an exact match, so I think it's less a bootleg but more a copycat, since it does obviously lift it's dimensions, chassis profile, wheels, gauge, couplers etc. from Plarail standards.

Also at the same time , It doesn't appear to be an absolutely direct copy of any complete rolling stock TOMY has made, indicating that they had to do some level of design work to create the wagon, even if it was marrying their container mould to a fairly basic/generic Plarail clone chassis they had already produced.

Now, had these been a TOMY design originally, then yeah, I'd call them bootlegs because they'd have been copying an existing design, whereas these are a little more creative than garden variety knockoffs/bootlegs, while still emulating TOMY.