Modification Planning - Suggestions Please?

15 Replies, 14994 Views

Ok guys (and gals Smile), I've been talking about converting and maybe weathering a model once I found a suitable donor model (i.e. one that is not in mint condition).

Well I've found one, a nice 0-6-0 LBSC tank loco (see here)

What I'm after is suggestions on which Thomas character to convert this too? Why a Thomas character? Well for a start it doesn't have a boiler cover on the front so no need to remove it to add a face lol!!

I know this isn't a terrier, but I was thinking maybe this would work as 'Stepney'?

Your thoughts?...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
You should do Thomas.
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
Why Thomas? Hornby already make a model of him, I was thinking maybe one of the more obscure characters that aren't available - I would try Oliver but I need an 0-4-2 donor for that Smile
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2018, 12:19 AM by Super.)
Rosie?
Why not make up your own character? That way your creativity has no bounds or limits of what it should look like. How about Benji, Gladys, Einstein, Falstaff, Gray Dog, Super, King Fish, Spinner, Wainright, Gargamill, Paddle Foot, Widget, Freud...the ideas are endless.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Sorry. I was going to say just kidding, do this character, but didn't have any other ideas. Although, thinking about it, Duck would be an interesting choice.
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
Hornby have already made models of Stepney and Duck although they are very hard to find
(04-14-2018, 02:19 AM)Tharazero1 Wrote: Hornby have already made models of Stepney and Duck although they are very hard to find

Duck can be got reasonably easy in the UK, home of Hornby, but its not as common as the main characters Thomas, Percy, Gordon, James, Edward. However Duck would be an easy conversion if you picked up a 0-6-0 GWR Pannier Tank as that's what he's based on.

Stepney seems to be almost as rare as hens teeth as is Emily, however it seems the rarest so far is Spencer which is odd as that would be an easy conversion as well. All you would need is an example of one of the silver A4's such as Silver Link or Silver Fox and a new face (might even be able to rob one off a Tomy example.

(04-14-2018, 12:19 AM)Super Wrote: Why not make up your own character? That way your creativity has no bounds or limits of what it should look like. How about Benji, Gladys, Einstein, Falstaff, Gray Dog, Super, King Fish, Spinner, Wainright, Gargamill, Paddle Foot, Widget, Freud...the ideas are endless.

I may just do that, I could create 'Nigel' and give him a funky livery Smile Although if I were to do a 'Nigel' I should probably find an A3/A4 donor and call him "Sir Nigel Gresley" with a cool paint job Smile
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2018, 07:47 AM by Nigels.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Super, Tharazero1
smokebox doors for just about every model can be found on ebay, try and bring it back to it's former glory!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • Super
Now there's a thought ucwpn, in some ways a renovation rather than customisation would be kinder, especially as I don't recall seeing so many of this model.

Maybe I should save the experiments for a newer tatty more common donor...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super