Tramps N Gauge

22 Replies, 26685 Views

I see you have worked your electrical lighting magic Tramp. Progress looks great. I especially awesome detailed lighting on the grain tower. I know its not a grain elevator but I forgot the correct term. Getting close to doing the landscaping. [Image: winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Well nearly 2years since I last looked at the layout and the mojo just came flooding back!

I pulled out the layout from the garage wall ripped the resistors out of the wiring looms for the buildings and order a dc-dc voltage convertor,

One thing that bothered me (when I lost the urge) Was that I was going to have to redo all my wiring looms, after some testing I found that I was putting too much current through them and basically cooking the resistor. I Considered leaveing them as they were but after running them for a length of time the resistor turned out to be quite a fire risk! I knew it was going to be a painful job changing the looms as they were so damn fiddly to solder and I knew I didn’t have much spare cable tail left.

So the loom work was my first job only one building loom couldn’t be saved (the winch house) so now it has a replacement single led in, instead of the awesome 4led loom it used to have - oh well.

[Image: R1BAfh.jpg]

So today, me and my son played trains for a bit, we then drilled a few holes for the cables to run from the buildings down to under the base so the buildings can be illuminated,

[Image: 5_B59_E4_F4-6808-4_DC7-_B291-_AD6464973_D9_C.jpg]

Then I looked at the winding house, ideally when it’s all finished I want the colliery head gear wheels to turn, one forward one backward, the cabling runs to the winding house where (in a real colliery) the motor lives, in this I was going to struggle to fit the motor in without obscuring the led, so I decided I just wanted the cable to loop in and out of the building. Because of where the cable runs in and out it was going to be difficult to mount a pulley so I opted to have a guide for the rope. I decided to use a bit of automotive copper brake pipe, I flared both ends that way I could ensure it was lined up with the rope guides cast onto the side of the building

Here was guide before I fitted it
[Image: C16921_EE-_ED0_B-47_B5-_B567-9_C79_A4609_EE1.jpg]

The guide fitted (I just used a hot glue gun to glue it in position)
[Image: B26284_B2-_C1_D3-4807-9528-_E053_D5_A2_F01_C.jpg]

And with the cable ran through it,
[Image: 2_AFCF305-0677-4_DE9-_B485-1_FBDE4_CDB12_C.jpg]

The motor that will turn this cable will be under the base board

I’ve also been thinking about my controller, I have a single dc controller that came with a graham farish set, the problem I have is that when I run my class 20 and any of my other locos (with the single controller powering both loops) the class 20 is much more responsive, to set the ‘other’ loco to a suitable speed the class20 is rocketing around, & if I set the speed right on the class20 the other loco doesn’t run. To overcome this I think I need two controllers, I was toying with the idea of making the display battery powered using a 12v battery and radio controlled car speed controllers (PWM controllers) If it was battery powered I wouldn’t have to mess about with trailing cables then every time we wanted to play trains & I’ve already got most of the parts,

Thanks for reading
Luke
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018, 12:18 AM by Tramp.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Tramp's post:
  • ActionChugger, MuddyPoppins, ripley802, Super
I am always amazed at your electrical configurations Tramp and I am excited to see that you have the juices flowing again to work on this and look forward to see your progression.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins