Custom Sodor Steamworks

5 Replies, 8901 Views

I was on the Wong Village Twitter, when I found they retweeted something somewhat unusual; A boy wanted the Wooden Railway Steamworks for Christmas, but his father thought the official version was lackluster and built one for him instead (like I would've done).

However, this is no average substitute made of cardboard, LEGO or existing buildings. The guy seems to have experience in carpentry, architecture or both, since it's a beautifully constructed scratch built replica made mostly of MDF.

[Image: gset64V.jpg]

Needless to say, it looks to be much larger and more screen accurate than any destination ever released. Surely his son was over the moon before he even played with it, though it may have been dismantled due to its massive size. Normally childless adult fans put so much effort into a Thomas & Friends project, but this is even greater than some of the stuff they've made. The roof is 3D printed plastic and can be removed. Yes, the transfer table works. As expected, there's also an interior:

[Image: OmmV6sr.jpg]

The overhead crane is just like those in official destinations, and in fact resembles that of the Percy at the Dieselworks set except better designed.

Even the plans were eerily professional, as if done by an architect:

[Image: AgPHzgr.jpg]

The mastermind behind this is Redditor Goodnightkiwi108.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 08:19 PM by DalaGStanator.)
[-] The following 5 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • AOF04, Finno, Nigels, Super, WaltWiz1901
Wow, that is awesome. Definitely a labor of love. This fellow is very good with a Router. Thanks for sharing.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
I second that Super what an awesome building, that is sure one lucky kid and as you say what an artist with a router Big Grin

Thanks for sharing Dala always nice to see Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Introducing the next great custom by the same builder: Brendam Docks.

[Image: wFHytNP.jpg]

Slightly not as impressive compared to the Steamworks, but it's easy to tell he made both of them and they'd work really well together on the same layout. The Shipping Co. building is a lot more faithful than the one from the actual set (which looks a bit more like the TOMY engine sheds). They made up their own cargo ship named C.S. Gumdrop to go with it. Even Cranky was going to be scratch built until he settled for a TWR one after it proved "too technical" (might be a reason why Big Mickey and Carly are absent, unless they'd have their own sections). Unlike the Steamworks, only the base was made of MDF with 7mm plywood for the building, making the entire section lighter in weight (not to mention safer for a child to breathe).

[Image: osMCX1W.jpg]

He actually consulted on r/thomasthetankengine regarding the interior of the second level, but it never appeared. If the building used a dark olive green and the dock had mooring bollards like on the similar TOMY piece, it would've looked even better. Seeing this makes me wonder what his son will want next (hopefully not Vicarstown Bridge or Ulfstead Castle).
[-] The following 4 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super, TrainMan2001, WaltWiz1901
That is so cool! He did a great job with that!
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
[-] The following 2 users Like TrainMan2001's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
I like this guys imagination plus, he showing his son a valuable lesson that its much more fun and meaningful to create something with your own hands than to just go out and buy it. Thanks for sharing Da-lag
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]