Broken Axlecog

9 Replies, 6415 Views

Hello everyone,
Ive got a question to all the Plarail mechanics here. I recently bought a used Thomas set and discovered that the cog on Thomas axis broke away into pieces. I thought its not a big deal and bought some cheap cogs (12 teeth, 5mm width, 7mm height, 2mm hole) on Amazon and they didnt seem to fit. I measured the size of the axle itself and i measured 2.2mm? That seems rather odd to me so im asking for some advice. How do you all repair your cogs on the driving axle? Anything i gotta take care of next to the measurements and teeth count?

Thanks alot!

Ron
That sounds about right Ron. If the cog was the exact same size as the axle wouldn't it be prone to slippage? Have you tried tapping one on the axle?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I tried to push the cog on the axle as hard as i could (I thought of just drilling the hole bigger but i dont see that as a smart solution).
I like to use a Tack Hammer to get em started. Have you looked at this Thread https://blueplastictracks.com/showthread.php?tid=866
I also use a small hammer along with a piece of metal with a whole in it. This way you can put the cog down, then meet the axle and tap it down though the whole.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Finno
Hmm that does indeed look promising... Ill test it out when i got the tools. Thanks already!
Let us know how it works out for you
Im so sorry! I know this is a pretty old thread now but time was wild and i couldnt get to work on this. So after all these months i finally was able to fix it using a cog with a 2.5mm hole instead of a 2mm one. I also used your guide Super (more or less) and got it on the axle without damaging it and it sits pretty tight aswell. Now the Locomotive runs very nicely and im glad it does! Thanks to everyone

Cheers Ron
[-] The following 2 users Like Ron Thunderr's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
Excellent work Ron, thanks for letting us know that Thomas is now running well and you probably have enough gears for any future repairs.
I find that Ali-Express has some great selection of cogs. The holes are small so you need to use a drill, start with the smallest drill bit you have and keep testing the cog until you find that it has a very tight fit. Then use a small hammer and pliers to fit the cog in. That is what I normally do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • chrisjo