Buses What???

14 Replies, 9733 Views

Got those in Luton as well, basically the reason behind it is they are 'normal' buses for most of the journey.  Then on certain sections they've either taken prior rail track and modified them or built these new concrete things and as others have said they have guide wheels fitted to the sides to aid the steering.  Why I don't know, maybe it is simply to prevent them crashing and blocking the route as the ones in Luton there is no easy way to get to them from the sides if there was a smash.  There again maybe its just to give the lazy bloody bus drivers 20mins rest every hour or something lol
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
i think it has something to do with tight roadways and tight curves.  Guided roadways will prevent head on collisions.
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
(02-19-2020, 06:21 PM)drew5195 Wrote: I think good ones is bus can go 90km/h where road is either 50 or 60km/h and can avoid traffic.

90km/h...no way I would ride a bus that did 90 in a guided rail like that, especially not those top heavy double deckers.

Wonder what are these giant lemons at one of the station stops (see picture) and why is this station called a Cooling Station?

[Image: Bus-At-Cooling-Lane-Kerb-Guided-Bus-Stop...400511.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(02-20-2020, 08:06 AM)Super Wrote: Wonder what are these giant lemons at one of the station stops (see picture) and why is this station called a Cooling Station?

The station is called Cooling Lane on the Leigh-Salford-Manchester Bus Rapid Transit guided tramway, named for the road where it is situated, and the yellow bins look like ones that typically contain sand and/or salt for gritting the tramway when it's freezing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
From the Link I take it that these Busways were created in areas where there is no train service? What I couldn't locate are the speeds the buses reach on the guided paths.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]