Tomica World/Plarail/Trackmaster Motor Types

16 Replies, 18525 Views

I don't know if this is enough info for you on your search for the motor in the Thomas Forward and Reverse Search and Rescue Motor
But at about the 4:00 mark in this Ucwepn video shows the motor which is a tad bigger that the regular Thomas type motor

[Image: Untitwwled.jpg]

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • FfarquharDeveloper, Tharazero1
This thread should really refer to gearbox types rather than motor types. The motors are all pretty much identical.

I'm not sure if you've got this one, but I'll put it here since I had it open. It's a single speed unit whose motor is driven from an under-chassis AA cell. Note in particular that it's absolutely essential that the top flat face of the motor is completely covered by a piece of insulating tape, otherwise the two steel rods/wires that run along inside the top of the gearbox casing will short-circuit against metal casing of the motor and you'll be taking it apart and putting it together numerous times, including repeated tedious work with the soldering iron, before you finally figure out what the problem is.

[Image: DSC05700a.jpg]

[Image: DSC05699a.jpg]

[Image: DSC05697a.jpg]

[Image: DSC05702a.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, generic_truck_69420, Super
If memory serves, this is a very quiet gearbox too. Maybe because its a simple gearing function. Is this one in Diesel 10?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
This is in the JR Tokai Kia 97 Series Railcar from the 2009 Protect The Rails! set.
[Image: hosen_allstars.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2021, 11:26 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
I'll rename the document later but somebody else might have to rename the thread itself.
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
[-] The following 1 user Likes FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • Super
The JR Tokai KiYa 97 is already mentioned under "Underneath Motor" (along with other trains that use the DU). I contributed it after seeing the battery instructions in a box image. As for a rename, I think "drive unit" might be a more accurate/inclusive term than "gearbox".
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • chrisjo
So... It has come to my attention that the document no longer exists, along with all the excellent, helpful and well researched info it contained. I have no idea 'when' it was deleted since I haven't checked in a while, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had to do with any... "recent events" (due to my heavy contributions to the guide when it was being updated). The Wayback Machine obviously didn't help me find it.

Luckily, I still have my original PMs with the info I provided back then. If anyone here ever plans to revive it (ideally within this thread), I could share the PMs if the same items will happen to be missing. It's too essential to be completely lost, esp. for personal reasons that shouldn't affect anyone who would need such a guide.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2023, 03:45 PM by DalaGStanator.)