For the HO Slot Car Fans

13 Replies, 7109 Views

I'm not sure about the current HO scale cars, I see there are quite a few players in the market now selling cars that are "compatible" with AFX, Aurora, etc...  But if they are true HO they will be what 1/87 scale if I recall correctly.  That would be quite a bit smaller than Hot Wheels which are 1/64.

Maybe I'm just mis-remembering the old AFX cars, but I thought they were "about" Hot Wheels/Matchbox size in scale.

In the UK at least we used to have Semi's with trailers in the Aurora sets, I know that for a fact as I had a set that came with one Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
here is the blurb on this years must have AFX set ....
 [Image: 10722004.JPG]Product Manual: 10722004.PDF [Image: pdficon_small.gif]Toyota and Audi go head to head in the 24 Hour Champions set from AFX. Two of the most impressive cars ever to compete at Le Mans, the Toyota TS040 and the Audi R18 bring staggering hybrid horsepower to the classic race.
Wonderfully efficient aerodynamically, both cars were a singular challenge for AFX when creating them in 1/64[sup]th[/sup] scale.  In fact, they are the most complex bodies we have ever made. The Audi has 15 full depth body openings – way more than we or anyone else has ever done.
With these stunning cars, 12 different track layouts to choose from, and an AFX Exclusive Photo Realistic Pit Building, you can recreate the excitement of Le Mans right in your home!
 INCLUDES
AFX Exclusive Mega G+ Race System
The easiest slot car system to learn on and drive at the limit with the lowest, lightest, best-handling chassis anywhere. Made up of our new Mega G+ Chassis, Upgraded AFX120 Controllers and Exclusive Tri-Power Pack, the Mega G+ Race System is the perfect balance of grip and speed.

AFX Exclusive Tri-Power Pack
Adjustable power levels allow all drivers, regardless of skill, to get the most out of their race! Changing levels is as simple as flipping a switch. At full throttle through every turn you can expect the following:

Beginner (8v):  Stay on track about 95% of the time
Intermediate (12v):  Stay on track about 60% of the time
Expert (22v):  You’re on your own!

FEATURES
See Instruction Manual PDF for detailed inventory
  • 30 feet of the best track you can buy – AFX track is easy to use, high quality and reliable
  • (2) Mega G+ 1/64[sup]th[/sup] scale slot cars
  • (1) Tune-up Kit – Keep your cars running strong
  • (1) 22 volt Tri-Power Pack – Compare to the 17 volts in other people’s sets
  • (2) AFX120 Controllers – Upgraded for easy drivability
  • (1) Photo Realistic Pit Building
 MEGA G+ CHASSIS
This new Mega G+ chassis doesn’t just go faster or handle better than the competition. And it doesn’t just have the ultra-low, narrow dimensions of the original Mega G to continue the reign of the most realistic HO cars on earth. It’s smoother, more consistent, and more intuitive than any car we’ve ever built.

FEATURES
FN20 Advanced Power Unit: lighter, smoother, quieter, more consistent and uses 33% less energy than Mega-G
Weight: Up to 35% lighter than any other HO chassis, 5% lighter than Mega-G
Shape: Narrowest, lowest chassis ever made for more realistic bodies
Pick-Up Shoes: Stronger, follows rail better for consistent power
Center of gravity: Lowest of all competitors to corner with confidence
Guide Pin: AFX Exclusive Extra-long tapered guide pin keeps the car on track longer
Ground Effects Magnets: Level 30 Neodymium – Stays glued to the track
Chassis Material: Super durable Nylatron has just enough flex
Brushes: High carbon power unit brushes last longer than composite brushes
New Redundant Power Transfer System: Maintains consistent power supply to motor for improved durability and drivability

MEGA G+ RACE SYSTEM
We wanted wheel to wheel racing, lap after lap, the feel of driving a real car. But we couldn’t do it by just changing the chassis. We had to create a whole new system…Made up of our new Mega G+ Chassis, Upgraded AFX120 Controllers and Exclusive Tri-Power Pack, the Mega G+ Race System is the perfect balance of grip and speed. With decades of slot car innovation and over a year of experimentation, this is the best out of the box slot car system you can buy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rekp's post:
  • Super
Wow, I’m playing catch-up on this thread after a few days of missing the discussion.

Yes, for some strange reason, HO scale slot cars ARE 1/64(ish) instead of 1/87. I can understand size limitations on the motors but why call them HO?

I think Tyco also did a grade crossing for railroads. I certainly remember at least one set from the mid-to-late 70s that was road and rail and featured Tyco’s “Nite Glow” stickers and accessories. I remember wanting to combine my trains and slot car sets but there was never room for it, so I never got the grade crossing. It didn’t help that Tyco stuff was notorious for being crap quality.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
@Nigel @OTR
Now that you mention it, HO vehicles are supposed to be 1:87

@OTR
Since was an original Aurora guy it wasn't until my Daughter was young when I bought me her a Tyco set and thought the same about it not being the quality the original Aurora was. And it seems all the Tyco sets were Circus sets with all kinds of jumps and loops, even going up walls. Not just plain sets.

@Rekp
This was an ingenious for these Slot Cars as it gives young children a chance to learn in stages how to control the vehicles before getting frustrated, losing interest and giving up.
Quote:Beginner (8v):  Stay on track about 95% of the time
Intermediate (12v):  Stay on track about 60% of the time
Expert (22v):  You’re on your own!
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]