Parents saying your to old for Thomas

16 Replies, 12686 Views

Yeah, my Mom thinks I’m too old for toy trains.

On the other hand, my kids think it’s pretty cool, although my son wants everything I have!

I’m trying to look at this issue from the standpoint of being a parent and “grownup adult” of somewhat advanced age. Maybe there’s a concern that an interest in “childish” things is a sign of immaturity or some sort of emotional issue. To be sure, there are adults and teens who are so into various pop culture fandoms that they lose touch with reality. They might be concerned that a seemingly harmless interest could mask some darker obsessions. Or less drastic, a concern that you’ll grow up to be an underachieving “40 year old virgin” type character.

Yeah, I can acknowledge those concerns but I don’t agree that it’s actually the case, most of the time. Hang around here and you’ll encounter quite a number of us who may have a “peculiar hobby” but are otherwise very much adults with families, homes, cars, jobs and all the other trappings of being a grownup.

Moreover, if your parents have simply grown tired of buying toys, or may not have the financial resources to do it on the level they once did, again, I can understand that. It can be difficult if you’re in that age range where Mom and Dad don’t want to or can’t buy what they once could but you’re too young to legally work. It isn’t as easy for pre-teens and early teens to find work as it was in past decades. I wish I could offer some advice there (maybe some chores for an allowance arrangement?) but try to hang in there until you are able to have more financial independence.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, MuddyPoppins

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parents saying your to old for Thomas - by Off The Rails - 12-07-2018, 08:55 PM