Neat Plarail Advance Layout

12 Replies, 7656 Views

(05-02-2021, 02:43 AM)leylandvictory2 Wrote: Plarail advance is more for the older people to enjoy.  Older people tend t lean more toward real scale model trains rather than plastic toys to a certain degree.

"Waves hands", yes I'm an older person and yes I prefer the more realistic dimensions.  But more importantly I like the elegance of the smaller trains and the fact that you could get two running on the same set of rails concurrently without having to re-invest in a whole brand new setup.  Why they never sold I don't know, although I do agree with Super's comment about cornering with the early models on standard track.  But that was resolved with the grey track expansions they made specifically for the Playral Advance line...

(05-02-2021, 12:23 PM)Super Wrote: I wasn't fond of them but I must admit that my Grandson and I did consider them when they first released but I didn't like how they didn't manage curves well at first.

This is of course true, some people did find that they struggled on standard blue curves, but as you can see in that layout they are using the dual blue tracks on the corners with no problems.  Tomy did also release the special grey expansions specifically for Plarail advance towards the end of its life which had grey rails with higher walls to alleviate the problem totally.  The other thing to consider is if you only have room for an 'N gauge' layout but can't afford the real thing this used to be a great way into the hobby as they still look pretty good.

Interestingly I notice that on that layout he has roads which look like they may be the Tomix bus system, but curiously if they are he has no buses running on it, that's a bit of a shame as having some moving buses as well would be the finishing touch - well doubly so if he had some street/building lighting as well Smile  Even some stationary 'N gauge' cars or other vehicles would help finish it off - they are available as well before you ask as I have some from Japan Smile

Incidentally, when I said 'silly prices' on eBay for advance stuff, you know the desirable station mentioned earlier in the thread, I saw several listed and presumably sold for ~ £400 to £450 each!!!!
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2021, 11:30 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super

Messages In This Thread
Neat Plarail Advance Layout - by Super - 05-01-2021, 12:34 PM
RE: Neat Plarail Advance Layout - by Mister No - 05-01-2021, 10:58 PM
RE: Neat Plarail Advance Layout - by Nigels - 05-02-2021, 12:59 AM
RE: Neat Plarail Advance Layout - by Nigels - 05-02-2021, 09:51 PM
RE: Neat Plarail Advance Layout - by Super - 05-02-2021, 12:23 PM
RE: Neat Plarail Advance Layout - by Super - 05-03-2021, 11:42 AM
RE: Neat Plarail Advance Layout - by chrisjo - 05-03-2021, 06:03 PM
RE: Neat Plarail Advance Layout - by Nigels - 05-03-2021, 05:32 PM
RE: Neat Plarail Advance Layout - by Mister No - 05-03-2021, 06:50 PM