Camera Settings Question...Anybody Help?

12 Replies, 4475 Views

(12-16-2021, 10:09 PM)Nigels Wrote: The best way to approach it would be to look in the manual for 'exposure compensation' settings.  If you are after a natural looking night time scene with the lights showing, assuming you have the main lights in the room dimmed so it looks like twilight' you need to leave the camera on either auto or aperture priority if you want to control the depth of field (i.e. amount in focus) and set the camera to under expose by between probably 3 to 5 stops.  You will almost certainly want to use a tripod or some form of support - even resting on some books or something may work.

With that G9X... turn the dial at the top from 'A' (automatic) to 'P' (program) then turn the lens ring: you'll see a dial at the bottom of the screen start changing. The dial goes from "-3 . . -2 . . -1 . . 0 . . 1 . . 2 . . +3" -- try to set it all the way to the left, to -3. If that's _too_ dark, step back to -2 or thereabouts.

(I downloaded the manual from Canon's site: if I got the same copy you have, it's "Image Birghtness (Exposure)" on page 73. The bit on "locking" exposure might be interesting to you, too: you can point the camera on something where it exposes correctly, press the "*" button to "lock" the exposure, then take the picture of what you want: it won't change the brightness while exposure is "locked".)

If you want to use manual settings, rotate the top dial to "M" and then use the rear LCD panel touch controls to set shutter speed and aperture and ISO (see p.93 of that manual).

When you're done, just move the dial back to A (automatic)!
[-] The following 2 users Like drewbenn's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super

Messages In This Thread
RE: Camera Settings Question...Anybody Help? - by drewbenn - 12-16-2021, 11:17 PM