How to build a 4.5v Gordon

19 Replies, 29464 Views

I've read on here that other people have done this so its not new, but here is my go at it. I wanted to finish up AWD Percy as I found pins that will work but the battery holders came in the mail today so I couldn't resist a quick mod.

The video showing the test run is at the end.

Tools I used:
#1 Phillips screw driver
Dremel with a large 60 grit sanding drum
Drywall knife with a fresh blade.

Parts needed:
I used 2 Gordon's and chassis weights from an old Thomas
3 AAA flashlight battery holder

I still need to work on the weights some, when he runs the course backwards he still derails on the curve at the end of the big ramp. Also in the video you can see that Gordon's tender has the front corner near the lid broken off, I wanted to use a beat up tender before I used one of the good ones I have.

First thing I did was strip down Gordon completely starting with the tender. I set the battery holder on top of the tender to see how much material I would have to remove. (Originally I was going to solder a wire to the battery holder and bend down the negative tab and solder it) If you flip over the tender you will see a metal tab that holds the terminals in place. Take a flat bladed screwdriver and push in on it then you can lean the terminal towards the inside of the battery compartment and gently pull it though (you dont have to de-solder the wire there is enough room to pull it though.

Now you take your Dremel (I use a 60 grit sanding drum) starting at the center of the terminal slot and grind back the material while test fitting (you have to grind both ends). You have to be very careful you can easily grind though the inner plastic! You need to grind it from the top to the very bottom for terminal fitment. Once the clearance is good take the terminal and bend the upright tab backwards about 30deg. The reinsert the terminals back into the original holes, and it lines up smooth and flat. The only minus is that you loose the molded in guide's that held the terminals straight but its not that big a deal.

Once you have the grinding finished the battery holder i received has a pointer showing direction and due to the way the battery holder is made you have to put it in with the arrow pointing at the back. before you put the battery holder in straight I took weights from the bottom of a Thomas train and put them in lengthwise at the bottom of the tender on opposite sides (you can see in the video better than I can explain) I also recommend wrapping the weights in electrical tape to prevent shorts.

The extra weights used are from another parts Gordon/Thomas trains.

I did a test without adding weight and it was pretty bad, it constantly derailed so I decided to add more weight. Unfortunately you would think there is alot of room in Gordon's body for more weight but not really. I ended up putting 2 10g weights at the front of the boiler, there is just enough room to get the drivetrain to fit inside. I also removed Gordon's face (take a small flat screwdriver and gently push in at the top of the body, eventually you'll break the glue. don't try and the bottom becasue you will break it off, as its held from the top! (I actually broke the first Gordon body doing this, luckily I have several!) Once you get the face off you will find a short fat weight I took the weight out; then take a drywall knife and cut down the 3 plastic uprights that hold the weight from moving down about halfway. Now goto your other Gordon body and remove the weight from his face. with the cut out weight well you can now put 2 face weights sideways, and his face slips back on nice and snug no need to re-glue it!

Once this is done reassembly Gordon, double check when you put the front and middle wheels/axles back in as the middle axle has a smaller diameter wheel.

I weighed Gordon fully assembled with the batteries installed and he came in at 220 grams. I should've weighed him before I started with a "C" battery just to compare.

Watch the video here:
https://youtu.be/by-MxFloScE

I hope you enjoy!
Very cool. Do you have a link to the battery back you used? I have purchased AA, AAA, and even 9v, but they never seem to fit as well as that battery back. And no wiring either, seems like that would be a no brainier. Big Grin
Excellent, very nicely done Anc6802, thanks for sharing with us. How does he run with a long rake of freight or coaches behind him?
[Image: awesome-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I know where to get those super, one of our local pound stores sell little aluminium led torches with those inserts Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
Thanks everyone!

Here is a link to the battery tray I got it from eBay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Black-Cylindr...ING_ACTIVE

Super, ill run another video tonight pulling freight cars
What are the steps of making him?
Making Customs, Filming Videos and looking for the purest engines. That's how I roll here on Blue Plastic Tracks.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TB90Prod2
(02-05-2016, 08:51 PM)Trainboy90 Productions Wrote: What are the steps of making him?

I think it's pretty straightforward,

1. buy the x3AAA battery holder
2. install batteries
3. fit in 'C' sized battery oriface
4. Add weights as required

Watching this, I think I might personally want to remove X1 battery, and short out the battery section with a piece of soldered wire, then you could rotate the x2 remaining batteries to the bottom of the holder for better CoG and you would also reduce the speed enough for it not to fly off the track!

Also forgot to add - great work ANC, I'm really enjoying your innovative mods at the moment, it's good to see new ideas especially ones like this which make modifying accessible for everyone,
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2016, 11:51 PM by Tramp.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Tramp's post:
  • ripley802, Super, Trainboy90 Productions
Tramp, thanks for the quick instructions, and for the praise! I have a couple other mods i'll be posting soon one easy and one advanced.

Here is a video of Super Gordon pulling his express coaches (or what I believe are, some clarification would be appreciated) and a brown truck and brake-van. As you can see in the video he looses traction while going up the ramp. I believe that he is too front heavy and the coaches or whatever the load might be are pushing up on his rear end. What I'm thinking is that I will try and move one of the small fat weights from his head and try and fit it in the rear, or get a small set of sticky wheel weights and see if I can squeeze one in.

https://youtu.be/m3MEGEPwJRQ

Clearly I need to start getting into video editing!
[-] The following 1 user Likes anc6802's post:
  • Super
That's almost like the same speed as the 3 Speed RC one on full power! On a side note, your Gordon looks like it's in mint condition. Where'd you get it from?

The idea reminded me of this, albeit not 9V:

Did that video inspire you?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • anc6802
With loco-tender combinations that have the batteries in the tender, that kind of traction loss can be caused by a lack of flexibility in the coupling between the two. Try bending the coupling slightly so that it is a very shallow 'U' shape (lower in the middle than at each end).
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • anc6802, ripley802