Super's Mod's, Customs, Layout's & Video's 👍

420 Replies, 527726 Views

I have been wanting to install lights into our Shipping Dock building mod for quite some time and I also wanted to try out Ripley802's method of making window glazing so I thought this would be a good time.

First the windows, I really like the look of how Ripley802 made his coach window glazing frosted with the use of clear plastic and matte finish Scotch tape. I like how the matte finish defuses the harshness of the LED light and gives the windows a glow rather than a hard, bright light inside. I used .010 Clear PVC plastic from my Local Hobby Store for the glazing and although placing the matte finish scotch tape over it gave the desired result I just could not prevent any air bubbles from forming under the tape which showed up when light was behind it. I had to figure out a different way. I thought that using 1500 grit water proof wet sanding emery paper I could smooth out the plastic so no air bubbles would form when putting the scotch tape on. What actually occurred was that using the wet sand created the desired milky finish without the tape and the chance of air bubbles. The result was a perfect light diffuser and looks great, at least I think so.

For the lighting I used two strips of self stick LED strips with a switch installed on the side of the building and powered buy an attached 9volt battery holder installed under the dock deck. Originally I had a flashing yellow LED at the top of each chimney to simulate fire in the furnaces below but I didn't know that when you install a flashing LED it can make all the LED's flash so the lights inside the building flashed too so I removed them. I also planned on outside lighting for the dock but I don't like using LED's out there because they are too bright and running my normally 1.5 volt incandescent lights would be more wiring, another switch and battery pack so I ditched that idea. The light from the windows does a fair job of illuminating the Dock I guess. Lastly the color of the plastic building did a fair job of blocking the light from the light inside but some did translucently filter through so I gave the inside of the building a coat of flat black to stop it. Worked perfectly. I like how the light glows without showing whats on the inside. Shout out to Ripley802, Ucwepn and Tramp for the ideas of glazing. Can't wait to try the glazing and lighting on some coaches.

[Image: 009_zpselgrubix.jpg]

[Image: 032_zpsvyj3slmv.jpg]

[Image: 019_zpspxnqp7vl.jpg]

[Image: 001_zpsvekfqosk.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Awesome work Super. Looks really cool. I too has some bubbles but they were very un-noticible, especially at higher speeds..Smile

I will have to try to find some of the plastic you used though as that would be easier than scavenging for scraps..
Thanks Ripley, couldn't have done it without you. Below is a scan of the sticker on the clear plastic sheet I used in case you can't find it locally and have to look Online. They had different thicknesses along with different colors too. Comes in 8"x11" sheets which should last quite a while and cuts easily with a straight edge and razor knife.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
Great work super, ive not seen that station before, it looks a lot like The ffarquhar station you can buy, with out the tower and doors, it's great with the internal lights, I wouldn't give up on your lamps yet, if you want to use them just wire them in series, in a row of x6 (6x1.5v=9v) like a daisy chain, great work on the glazing, it's a great idea, it's nice to have something for the light to reflect on, it just adds a bit of realism,

*edit* thinking about it ffarquhar doesn't have a tower, have you just relabelled a ffarquhar station? I must say the decal/label looks good!
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2016, 10:34 PM by Tramp.)
Looks Fantastic Super!
(02-20-2016, 10:32 PM)Tramp Wrote: I wouldn't give up on your lamps yet, if you want to use them just wire them in series, in a row of x6 (6x1.5v=9v) like a daisy chain
*edit* thinking about it ffarquhar doesn't have a tower, have you just relabelled a ffarquhar station? I must say the decal/label looks good!

Thats right Tramp, its a Ffarquhar Station.
Good to know, I didn't realize I could simply daisy chain in series the incandescent lights and still use a 9volt battery. Six may be too many for this station but I certainly will remember that for future works. I take it that I could do the same with 3 volts (2 lamps in series) and 4.5volts (3 lamps in series).

(02-20-2016, 10:55 PM)Ucwepn Wrote: Looks Fantastic Super!

Many thanks my friend.
Extra modifications on an already modified Luke. Luke had been upgraded with a Power Dash motor and defaced with a smoke box door but needed a few additions. He is no longer known as Luke as his name has been removed and is now called simply CSX. Front facing cab windows were installed along with some metal buffers and caution striped rear. As soon as I practice some airbrushing I am going to knock down the shine by spraying a flat clear finish. Not only because I like the duller look of a flat or matte finish but to protect the stickers and decals so this train can be played with and not just looked at.

[Image: 003_zpsimhdvocy.jpg]

[Image: 005_zps3qt8qn77.jpg]

[Image: 006_zpsnll3ojql.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • ActionChugger, HankAmericanEngine, ripley802
Completed a couple buildings to the layout. One with a minor modification and one with major changes.

First up we have the Caiden Town Cable Network building with call letters that signify Plarail. Secondly we can see that it is Intermission Time between features at the Caiden Town Drive-In Theater & Projection where a visit to the Snack Bar/Concession Stand is in order for some Hot Buttered Popcorn and a Hot Dog. Modifications include an altered and painted Lemax Billboard and an altered and painted HO 5&10 Store. Wanted to finish these before filming the next video which will now take place as soon as I finish the latest Train mod called Hard Boiled which should be completed soon after several months of work.

[Image: 012_zpsdqzyfeht.jpg]

[Image: 014_zpsziqdzpgp.jpg]

[Image: 003_zpsgjts96av.jpg]

[Image: 006_zpsummgtc0y.jpg]

[Image: 002_zpsfpiisl8e.jpg]

[Image: 005_zpsrz9hbdob.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • ActionChugger, ripley802
Very nice Super. Can't wait to see the video. Smile
Thanks Ripley

I have gotten sidetracked from the latest video trying to finish all the mods I started and lately playing with learning how to use my new airbrush painting set.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802