Take & Play Redesign? 2017

10 Replies, 31394 Views

Are the magnets really gone now?
The little hooks aren't compatible with any of the old trains!
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2017, 09:02 PM by Ucwepn.)
[-] The following 3 users Like daftande's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super, WoodWheel92
Yes they redesigned the magnets just 2+ years ago & now they are doing away with the magnets all together for hooks that can break off easily rendering the train useless. It is nothing more than a greedy money making move to eliminate backwards compatibility so you have to buy all new trains and rolling stock. I see this move as very similar to what they did with Trackmaster.

I feel for people with large collections who want the latest and greatest trains from new seasons and specials but wont be able to connect them to their trains, maybe an adapter car with a magnet on one end and a hook on the other can be created...
(02-09-2017, 08:38 PM)Ucwepn Wrote: maybe an adapter car with a magnet on one end and a hook on the other can be created...

If we know anything about FP now, the answer is most likely a big phat 'no'.
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. 
Oh no I meant maybe a member could make one that simply assembles together using parts from new and old but I think some cutting would be required.

I will look into this project and hopefully come up with a simple solution then I can make a tutorial video.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • sunhuntin
Yep, this is such an issue around my house that even my wife *GASP* is annoyed! My son has a pretty extensive Take N Play collection and to suddenly make the new locos incompatible is a crappy maneuver on Mattel's part.

OTOH, preschool age kids with magnetic toys can lead to all kinds of chaos. I'm pretty sure the dark vertical lines along the bottom of my TV screen are the result of my son and the magnets on his Take N Play engines.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Ucwepn
Would the breaking plastic couplers hazardous to young children. Take n play is really cater to young kids.
[-] The following 2 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • ROKMAN1445, Ucwepn
Target are apparently issuing adapters with purchases

[-] The following 2 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • DalaGStanator, WoodWheel92
(02-10-2017, 11:33 PM)Ucwepn Wrote: Target are apparently issuing adapters with purchases

So they do have adapters! I would like to give the Adventures track a try, and I plan to get Henrietta, so I could use the adapters!
(02-10-2017, 11:33 PM)Ucwepn Wrote: Target are apparently issuing adapters with purchases
Was that at Target in the USA?
https://www.blueplastictracks.com/attach...p?aid=2161

Am I the only one who got chills seeing this?
How are 2-3 year olds going to couple these things together? It was so much fun and iconic, now they are turning into $1 store junk. What would be cool is if someone made an adapter the other way around, turning the hooks into magnets.
Undecided