Worlds Largest Steam Locomotive Is Back!

11 Replies, 13851 Views

They said it couldn't be done. It was too heavy, too long, it burned too much fuel, and would cost too much to restore. But they were wrong. Union Pacific, Big Boy #4014, now holds the title of the Worlds largest operating steam locomotive.

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Finno, Off The Rails
Now that is something special, I'd love to see that in the flesh Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Isn't he a beautiful behemoth? And what a task to completely restore it. They must have had quite a lot of donations come in for the amount it must have cost.
I remember seeing a video showcasing a custom plarail big boy a few years ago. But I fear it's long since been deleted.
[-] The following 2 users Like marclovestrainz's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Really? Now thats something I would like to see for sure.
I remember the body shell for the engine and tender were either custom made, or from an ho scale model kit, and the wheels + siderods that were used came from dennis.

It would be really cool if someone made a custom plarail 4014.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2019, 02:35 PM by thehsvdude.)
[-] The following 2 users Like marclovestrainz's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
i heard big boy is so heavy that it crushed the rails. Is that true?
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
The Union Pacific 2-8-8-2 Mallet type locomotive is what you're thinking of. Also, it didn't exactly crush the rails, but they did suffer intense hammering whilst said locomotive was at speed.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2019, 10:08 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes marclovestrainz's post:
  • Super
(05-04-2019, 06:12 PM)marclovestrainz Wrote: I remember seeing a video showcasing a custom plarail big boy a few years ago. But I fear it's long since been deleted.

Until you gave more details, I thought you were thinking of the (official) Hyper-Guardian Trans-Liner.

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2019, 02:35 PM by thehsvdude.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
This has to be the biggest engine made by the Tomy/Plarail Company, its huge. That video is from our own HanksAmericanEngine.