Latest Purchases

21 Replies, 15378 Views

My latest Purchase. 

These came from Japan arrived today.

[Image: 20190909-151013.jpg]

KTX and top monorail supports from HK

[Image: 20190906-164959.jpg]

[Image: 20190909-181021.jpg]

TOMY Mavis and some diamonds connector track which i brought from AOF.

[Image: 20190909-181046.jpg]

Got some post from UK and Japan coming soon. Will post once i get it.
[-] The following 6 users Like drew5195's post:
  • AOF04, chrisjo, Finno, MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails, Super
Thats a very good haul Drew. Isn't it grand getting big packages of stuff?

What are diamond connector track?

(09-09-2019, 07:05 AM)drew5195 Wrote: some diamonds connector track 
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • drew5195
The tracks that connect to the blue Tomy turntable.

[Image: image.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 12:25 PM by Super.)
Oh, so thats what they call those. Still can't figure out why they made the turntable with 2 different types of connectors, any ideas?. Thanks Dr Chris.
Nice haul!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Engineer Bob's post:
  • drew5195
Are the diamond tracks shorter than the standard tomy tracks?
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
(09-09-2019, 11:59 PM)leylandvictory2 Wrote: Are the diamond tracks shorter than the standard tomy tracks?

It bit smaller but not much

[Image: 20190910-161209-2.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like drew5195's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno, Super
(09-09-2019, 12:25 PM)chrisjo Wrote: The tracks that connect to the blue Tomy turntable.

I remember being upset with those track parts because it was impossible to use them for anything else. I never understood that design choice, but it seems like TOMY did it to discourage children from trying to use them as regular straights because of the sealed ends.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 09:17 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
I thought the same Da-lag but imo the need for the blunt end straights isn't necessary since doesn't the turntable come with these end of track bumpers anyway which can fit on a regular straight rail? Plus its a wonder since there are 6 diamond connectors and 4 regular spots so only the 90 degree cross can continue through. But alas, its still a better turntable than the original small yellow and red ones that only fit an engine with no tender and the sheds are pretty neat too.

[Image: DSCN3506.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
I always figured they changed the connectors because there would be no way (or at least no way in a reasonable number of track sections) to arrive back at those specific off angles of the turntable. The basic design is a holdover from much earlier in Plarail, before more of the dimensions were standardised, probably the same era as the very thin parallel switches and 1/6 a normal straight gender changers. I just saw one in red like the smaller half straight turntables with all normal connectors on jauce yesterday, I'll try to find a picture. It had even more connectors, three normal in the space of the two diamond between the 90 degree offset ones on the Thomas turntable.

I haven't ever tried it, but basically it would be hard to build something that actually met up with the diamond connector spaces due to available track pieces. The normal ones are the ones 90 degrees off from one another, and fit into normal plarail dimensions. My guess is someone pulled out the old turntable design, realised most of the track connectors couldn't even be built to, and decided to follow the modern track standards and make it impossible to try.

[Image: Screenshot-20190910-121515-01.jpg]
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 3 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno, Super