Hot Wheels (for a change)

13 Replies, 8903 Views

I've always had a liking of Hot Wheels, even back when I was a kid and they were just too expensive (in comparison to Matchbox and other local toy cars) that I didn't really have many - just a very few.  But these days they are far more affordable and the range much larger.  As Super and a couple of others know I have been collecting the new 'Hot Wheels id' cars (tell you more about those if anyone wants to know), but for years on and off I have been buying the odd few normal models as well - but not seriously collecting.  Anyway I drift, thought I'd post some pics for a change as I managed to score some nice bargains in this years 'Black Friday' (which started here nearly a fornight ago and is still going LOL!!!)

Anyway first some '9 packs' which are random assortments, got from Argos @ £15 for two, so 18 cars for £15;

[Image: IMG-20191125-212644.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191125-212710-BURST001-COVER.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191125-212736.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191125-212759.jpg]

As you can see I did quite well this time, when I've bought similar deals in the past I've not always done so well even having bought two packs that were totally identical.  But this time apart from a couple of dupes there is a nice variety there, I'll keep the ones I like and pass the remainder onto the nephews etc... to play with.

The next ones are the normal 5 packs, these are on special at Lidl's (a UK store) for £4.99 each at the moment, the highlight is probably the 'Fast and Furious' set.  These are different to the above in that each theme comes with the same set of cars.

[Image: IMG-20191125-213322.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191125-213343.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191125-213355.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191125-213407.jpg]

Finally here's just a couple of pictures of one particular car I picked up recently, one of the mini sub-sets for 'Forza Horizon 4' which are produced alongside the mainline carded cars.  This one just jumped out at me so I had to get it Smile

[Image: IMG-20191125-224434.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191125-224456.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Finno, Off The Rails, Super
Nice haul Nigels

Even though the prices over here for the multiple sets I always had an aversion to them because they always had a couple I really liked but all the rest I wasn't interested in. Almost like they threw some of the least popular sellers.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I like the HW Flames 5 car set.
[-] The following 2 users Like Finno's post:
  • Nigels, Super
I see some nice stuff in there! The 40 Ford 3
Window coupe and the Willys 5 window are cool but that Forza Horizon is awesome! It has a serious Cobra Daytona look to it.
My daughter recently unearthed my old Hot Wheels from when I was a kid and I noticed that I have very similar interests today. Primarily cars from roughly the late 1920s to about 1950, with an emphasis on pre-WW2 vehicles. I have some that might’ve been desirable if they weren’t in played with condition but I’m not a collector, so my kids play with them now!

But yeah, Hot Wheels are still pretty darn cool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
I'm actually in the middle of filming a quickie of some wooden Thomas trains racing on Hot Wheels track. They fit rather nicely. I'll post when finished.
[-] The following 2 users Like Engineer Bob's post:
  • Finno, Super
(11-28-2019, 04:28 AM)Off The Rails Wrote: I see some nice stuff in there! The 40 Ford 3
Window coupe and the Willys 5 window are cool but that Forza Horizon is awesome! It has a serious Cobra Daytona look to it.
My daughter recently unearthed my old Hot Wheels from when I was a kid and I noticed that I have very similar interests today. Primarily cars from roughly the late 1920s to about 1950, with an emphasis on pre-WW2 vehicles. I have some that might’ve been desirable if they weren’t in played with condition but I’m not a collector, so my kids play with them now!

But yeah, Hot Wheels are still pretty darn cool.

You might be surprised, if they are genuinely old ones from the 60's/70's even in played with condition they can still be worth a few bob or so I hear, especially if they are the ones with the original 'real rider' (rubber) tyres and the red rims.  Of course in mint conditiion they would be worth far more, but nonetheless the older the more valuable or so I read on the forums Smile

(11-28-2019, 12:30 AM)Finno Wrote: I like the HW Flames 5 car set.

Yeah I always have a bit of a soft spot for cars with the flames down the side and tend to pick them up when I see them if I don't have them Smile

(11-27-2019, 11:37 PM)Super Wrote: Nice haul Nigels

Even though the prices over here for the multiple sets I always had an aversion to them because they always had a couple I really liked but all the rest I wasn't interested in. Almost like they threw some of the least popular sellers.

Super, I know exactly what you mean, I often think they put the over-stocks in the selection boxes to clear them as you always get at least one or two that you hate lol! But at the same time you often get some really nice ones in the packs as well, so the cost sort of evens out as the ones I don't want I can pass on to the nephews etc...

But at the price they are at the moment 2 for £15 they are a steal even if you don't like some of the cars and of course make a change from buying in blisters as sometimes you can't find the ones you want on blisters as all the cool stuff has been snaffled by little jonny who will then proceed to destroy them as kids do lol! Also you sometimes get the odd one in these boxes that you might have passed over in blisters, but once you handle them and look at them appreciate them a lot more - a bit like the little porsches in two of those boxes, one in red the other in a cream colour (bottom middle in the boxes)...
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2019, 10:39 PM by Super.)
I managed to find another 4 of the 5 packs today in the sales including a 'Batman' set Smile

[Image: IMG-20191201-154543.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191201-154556.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191201-154612.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191201-154627.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Just a few pictures of recent acquisitions I just like Smile

[Image: IMG-20191213-100117.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191213-100208.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191213-100232.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191213-100250-1.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191215-234612.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191215-234641.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Finno, Super
The Firebird and Corvette are my favorites
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
Yup, I love the firebird, been one of my favourite cars ever since I first saw Smokey and the Bandit lol! Second it that the favourite has to be the Viper, one of the nicest looking cars for years..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super