Old Tomy Set

20 Replies, 14535 Views

I picked this up today from a seller on FB, pretty good condition, the only part with a problem is the engine on which the motor runs, but in forwards gear the wheels don't turn at all, in reverse there is some traction, but not perfect.  Does anyone have any experience fixing these type of engines and have any tips before I open it up to have a look?!?

[Image: IMG-20200621-134819.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200621-134853.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200621-135045.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200621-135232.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200621-135239.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200621-135244.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200621-135249.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200621-135254.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200621-135300.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
The set looks to be in fantastic condition too bad about the motor. Wasn't there a recent Post about fixing these Vintage Tomy engines by Bijo? https://blueplastictracks.com/showthread.php?tid=4078

Sunhuntin has a pictorial of these opened up https://sunstomyandfriends.weebly.com/vi...ry-go.html
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Nigels
Yes, condition is superb, if its been played with at all it wasn't for long, everything is complete and even the battery terminals are in pristine condition.

Thanks for the links I'll check those out to see if I can figure out what the problem is, I suspect an issue with a slipping/broken/cracked cog of some sort, but thought I would ask before I opened it up as I've never had one of these apart before Smile
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020, 12:07 AM by Super.)
  • Super
Keeps us informed with how and what you do Nigels. I would think that a set kept in such good condition that the repair won't be too major.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Nigels
When you open it up, all the bits will probably fall out but it's no big deal, there's no pesky little springs or anything like that. (Well, there is one spring, on the white plastic bit that's actuated by the reversing switch, but it should stay in place on the central arm of that piece.)

You'll easily figure out how to re-assemble with the help of Sunhuntin's tutorial. The only bit you need to watch out for is the reversing switch, which needs to be properly aligned with the relevant sliding gear/axle assembly, and it's easy to have it in the wrong place.
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Nigels, Super
Thanks Dr Chris Smile
Hey, that's some bits that we got with our FB purchase. We had a tub of those spares and we have that station with the smaller station in the background.

[Image: Tomy-Train-Your-Town.jpg]

But we had an extra station, plus extra train and wagons. Now I know it's the set you've bought, plus the scissor lift / cement mixer set that I've seen on my post. Having a database of these old sets would be great! I may have to work on something in my spare time.
[-] The following 2 users Like bijomaru78's post:
  • Nigels, Super
(06-23-2020, 07:39 AM)chrisjo Wrote: When you open it up, all the bits will probably fall out but it's no big deal, there's no pesky little springs or anything like that. (Well, there is one spring, on the white plastic bit that's actuated by the reversing switch, but it should stay in place on the central arm of that piece.)

You'll easily figure out how to re-assemble with the help of Sunhuntin's tutorial. The only bit you need to watch out for is the reversing switch, which needs to be properly aligned with the relevant sliding gear/axle assembly, and it's easy to have it in the wrong place.

Thanks for the info Chris, I must admit after looking at the photo's on Sun's page I couldn't believe the complexity of the gearing in that engine, I mean does it really need all those gears lol!

Anyway when I get a quiet day and fancy a challenge I'll open her up and see what's what Smile
  • Super
(06-23-2020, 01:52 PM)bijomaru78 Wrote: Having a database of these old sets would be great! I may have to work on something in my spare time.
There is one, a work in progress, by FINNO. He has been a bit quiet lately - not visited here for the last month. I hope all's well with him. I've rather lost track of which is the url for the public version and which for the developer version so I won't post any link until I figure it out and maybe contact Finno through PMs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • bijomaru78
I miss Finno's Posts especially his progress on his train shed. Hope all is well.