Layout Error Verification

24 Replies, 10349 Views

It has been some time since a new thread is opened by me. This time I will introduce all the errors in TOMY layouts by verifying them hands on.

パノラマ3(Panorama 3)

This layout was found in the February 1982 catalogue. The updated layout has been published in the February 1988 catalogue.
As you build the layout, there is a very obvious error. If you look at the finished layout in the catalogue, it is suspicious how they managed to make a full circuit.

[Image: Enphn-J3-Vo-AEph8.jpg][Image: Enphn-Jd-UUAIz-E3p.jpg][Image: Enphn-LKUUAITCJB.jpg][Image: Enphn-M7-Vg-AAAv4-E.jpg]

でんききかんしゃセット (EF-15 Freight Train Set, box layout)

A pretty obvious error where there is a rail on top of another rail. In this case, the こうかレール (white viaduct) is already a rail and there is a blue straight rail on it.
Additionally, red pivots & white cross signs on the railroad crossing is a prototype product.

[Image: 1111.png]

ちょうとっきゅうひかりごう ニューセット (Super Express Hikari New Set, box layout)

As pointed out by Super, the curved rail is underneath a white pier. The pier is too small to let the train go under it. Also, one of the trees are mysteriously taller than the other.

[Image: Untitled.png]

The earliest layout sample from the Early Hikari-Go Mark Era

No real building errors here, but the train will definitely hit the yellow block pier when switching over to the left lane. It is still considered an error.

More to come in the future...
[-] The following 3 users Like violater's post:
  • chrisjo, MuddyPoppins, Super
(11-25-2020, 07:52 AM)Vio Wrote: パノラマ3(Panorama 3)

As you build the layout, there is a very obvious error. If you look at the finished layout in the catalogue, it is suspicious how they managed to make a full circuit.
However, I believe that your demonstration is not the same as the plan in the catalogue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
It was only a part of it to demonstrate if the tracks were not forcefully bent. If I were to complete the full circuit without bending the tracks, the error will be unnoticeable.
This is the full reproduced layout without the double concave signal station, you can see the amount of bending.

[Image: Enr-Lp-Eq-VEAEG8l-F.jpg][Image: Enr-Lp-D3-Vo-AAHY-S.jpg]

This is better proof that the layout was problematic, as the measurements of these straight rails are different. Moreover if you use your fingernails to estimate the length of the 1/2 rails with the normal straight rail, you can see that the 1/2 rail is actually 2/3 the size of the normal straight rail.

[Image: Enrvh7y-Vk-AA94q-P.jpg][Image: Enrvh8j-Vg-Ag-IWs1.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 08:12 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like violater's post:
  • bijomaru78, Super
That makes perfect sense now. Nice ruler by the way!
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Super, violater
Glad that it makes sense now. It is my wife's ruler.
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Super
Great idea for a Thread Vio

Great spotting the blue track over the white viaduct, weird they would do that. You can actually see how the entering and exiting blue rails are at a slight angle up, to accommodate the blue rail being on top of the white rail of the viaduct. Hmmm, since the original viaducts with built in rails and the original piers are about a quarter inch lower than the modern ones...I wonder if this method would work out perfectly on the newer styles? Next time I have those out I will have to give it a try.

Also notice that there are not Piers on either end of the white viaduct which, because there are no lips on the white version, would have to be used so the rails would not fall when a train passes over their connection points.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • violater
In the image, the viaduct supports only the rail connection behind but not in the front. So that is another error.
  • Super
(11-25-2020, 07:52 AM)Vio Wrote: The earliest layout sample from the Early Hikari-Go Mark Era

Just a side note: I think these old curved slopes are amazing. Not only do they look better (they are made with closed sides), but I bet trains go smoothly over them. If I see well, each curved slope is made of only 2 parts, and the trains do not "bounce" on the rail joints as on the new curved slopes, which have a small flat section there.
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 3 users Like Mister No's post:
  • chrisjo, DuckGWR, Super
Yes those curves are awesome Mr No but just try to find any. When they do show up in the auctions, there is always a lot of competition for them.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Mister No, violater
(11-26-2020, 10:33 PM)Mister No Wrote: each curved slope is made of only 2 parts

Wrong. The lower slope from ground level to intermediate level is 1 part, the upper slope from intermediate level to pier level is 2 parts. 2 parts including the lower slope, and the elevated base with the height similar as intermediate level.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2020, 10:51 PM by Super.)
  • Super