Plarail TOMY Thomas NEW RELEASES

2075 Replies, 1662571 Views

I'm really curious about this engine and the reversing aspect. I assumed it would be fairly similar to the old Round Trip Plarail or Tomy Trains reversers, just with an updated gearbox, but from the video it looks like each reversing piece has a different pattern. Do they only reverse the train when approaching from a specific direction? I assume the reversing action is still mechanical and there is not a little computer inside doing the reversing, it seems like the Round Trip/TomyTrain style reversers which can be turned on and off and used from either side is more versatile then this system.

I do really like that the couplings look to form a pretty rigid connection, that is one of the issues with the old reversing systems, too much coupling slack causes derailments as trains reverse. If you were to use the reversing chassis for your own trains, though, you would probably run into that issue.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DuckGWR's post:
  • Super
the vintage tomy trains have the reverse functions.  I wonder why that feature was discontinued in the modern plarail trains?

The coupling system looks very sturdy but if the coupling system is broke there is no way of replacing it unless you replace the entire chassis.
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
I hope they sell reverse tracks and trains that have engine changeable sperate. Would love to buy few for my layout. I loved the reverse in old vintage tomy trains. I don't use them anymore so they in container in storage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes drew5195's post:
  • Super
(05-27-2021, 10:08 PM)DuckGWR Wrote: I do really like that the couplings look to form a pretty rigid connection, that is one of the issues with the old reversing systems, too much coupling slack causes derailments as trains reverse.

Ah...so thats why the set has the strange couplings, that didn't come to mind. Wonder how the engines rear coupler attaches to the chassis?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Its looks like our thoughts have come true. From Suzukawa's video below where she and her children were allowed to play with the upcoming release of the Plarail Sushiro Train at the Plarail offices. We can see that the reversing chassis does look just like the newer type chassis and the rear coupling is the normal one. It also looks like they modified a regular chassis for this prototype as the used a piece of black tape to cover the writing under the chassis. Wish I could have also seen the inside but that will come as I am intrigued enough to want one now. Big Grin

[Image: Ugntituled.jpg]

[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No
Pages for the dynamite truck and dinosaur skull cars have popped up on Tomy's shopping website. As far as I know these are the only Thomas products announced for this year so far other then the already released Kenji set.
[Image: 4904810180753-5d59950cb2b74969b3d461218213fb40.jpg]
https://takaratomymall.jp/shop/g/g4904810180753/

[Image: 4904810180760-12b9e410b2194cd09029c55ae6e29e37.jpg]
https://takaratomymall.jp/shop/g/g4904810180760/

Releasing in mid July.

I am excited to see what people will do with that reversing chassis, and what's inside of it, I might try and pick one of them up and have some fun myself.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 2 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • Mister No, Super
Thanks Duckster Smile

I also just caught a glimpse of this S-20 Series HC85 Hida Nanki new Plarail train set to release Mid-July.

[Image: 10768115a.jpg]
  • Mister No
I really don't like this Hida Nanki. Another "hollow" train with not-so-appealing colours... :/

[Image: 4904810174967_bef1f11d34c1be9807db3ec93a...mbypass=on]

From the description of the "Dinosaur Bone Carrier Freight Car":

"When you connect this car to a motor car or roll it by hand, the bones of the dinosaur spin around.
The mouth can also be opened and closed."

[Image: 4904810180760_9318660a9e987dd5202af8b5a8...mbypass=on]

[Image: 4904810180760_7080ae97823db542eb604ba7b7...mbypass=on]

There is also Harold. It's a Re-release I suppose. I looked at my Harold, and they seem the same:

[Image: 4904810180746_6bad1012e410fa7da55b4ce902...mbypass=on]

Same goes for re-released Berty:

[Image: 4904810180739_13a0c38a55b8e7a0b1b1046133...mbypass=on]

There is also this Maglev train with red and green speed-change rails. Another re-release, isnt't it?

[Image: 4904810174950_648ab49ab5113d2e6414f76652...mbypass=on]
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • Super
(05-31-2021, 12:03 PM)DuckGWR Wrote: I am excited to see what people will do with that reversing chassis, and what's inside of it, I might try and pick one of them up and have some fun myself.

Switchback operations come to mind!  Idea

[Image: swb-line-plans-web.png]

Of course, it would be nice if we could buy the reversing tracks separately...
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • DuckGWR, Super
Quote:Of course, it would be nice if we could buy the reversing tracks separately...

That would be great and could come true, probably only, if they create other trains with this chassis. I also think T-Mans idea of using the reversing rails with some Automatic Switch Rails would work well. Now if they only update the DD51 and DE10's to use the new chassis that would be perfect Big Grin
  • Mister No