Ucwepn's YouTube Video's

413 Replies, 538968 Views

I thought this would be a good place to discuss or ask questions about Ucwepns awesome YouTube Videos

I like your latest videos Ucwepn. Its no secret that I don't know much of the Thomas stories so I appreciated the intro story about who and what Lady is. You did a fine job on lighting up Diesel 10's eyes. Is that just back lit or did you drill all the through the face plate? Also, in the village you have 2 Highway Patrol cars (picture below) do you know who made these? My Grandson who I have nicknamed Bomber, loves Police vehicles and I think he would like this 50's edition.

The Early Morning Running video is awesome giving us a good view of your layout lighting. I do like how you have Stradford Station lit up and the village looks great too as does the lighting at the turntable. Are they all incandescent or are some LED?

[Image: Ucwepn_zps8b9b4fca.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • mod thana, thehsvdude
Hi Super Thanks allot for the kind words,

Diesel 10 had major evil surgery where I drilled his eyes completely out and put incandescent grain of wheat bulbs in the holes, he runs on 3v, this is of course the villain of the series so I could get away with the eye lights hehe.

The Buick highway patrol cars are lovely aren't they? They were made by matchbox last year and are high on the collectors wanted lists, I grabbed allot of them when I saw them at stores along with the seagrave fire engine. there is a recolor of the patrol car in white now, hopefully you can find some for little Bomber Big Grin.

The lights at Knappford station and around the layout are all grain of wheat incandescent bulbs either 1 or 2 wired to a 3v pack with built in switch. I rarely switch on the lights so the batteries have lasted over a year which is nice, I found some nice LED strings that we used for Christmas and I am going to 100% steal for the layout perhaps to use as street lamps or similar, over 20 leds running from a 3v pack Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • mod thana, U C BLAKE
Ucwepn:

Do you run those grain of wheat bulbs in a series or parallel when running 2 in the front. In one of your how to videos it looked like a series with the two lights on the Shinkansen.

Those Xmas lights you are commandeering were they already the battery operated ones? Seems I remember seeing this type of cordless lights in the stores during the holidays. Brilliant idea for colored or just white ones.

Many thanks for the info on the 1956 Buick Highway Patrol car. I bought a couple from Ebay. Looking forward to surprising Bomber with them as they are quite nice. I saw the white ones but they didn't look as authentic as these and they also had light blue ones but the front bumper was plastic gray and not chrome like which made it look cheap.

I notice you have quite a few English country looking cottages and buildings. Are they ceramic or plastic? They really go well with the village and I can picture them ordering a pie from the pizza shop to be delivered for dinner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • mod thana
Hi Super, I think parallel for double bulbs. (I'm not up with the terminology of wiring sorry).

yes they were battery pack powered to start with they came in red, blue, white and multi color. Kmart branded.

It really is a lovely car thats why its so sought after. Glad you found some for a reasonable price Big Grin

I visit allot of charity shops and they are ceramic/plaster or similar, I am not entirely sure but I do grab the houses when I see them for cheap as they match the scale quite well, I am going to rebuild the town soon as I want to add tomy road for the road vehicles, I have a modified Bertie and Bulgy buses ready to go hehe. Also tracked down some of the rarer thomas road vehicles too Ned, LOR1, Jack, Elizabeth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • mod thana
I guess I should be visiting my only charity shop more often. It is a pretty big one and I have often donated tons of stuff to them. They are so big that they will soon be moving into a gigantic buiding.

I like the looks of your Fluxed Capacitor Deloreon too. Is that rare?

Excited to see the new town configuration. Are you talking about those gray roadway tracks that the motorized cars ride on for the redo?

I replayed the Shinkansen light video and upon closer inspection and from what I have learned here might be called Series wiring if one light is wired into the next. It is an excellent job that I am going to copy because Bomber (Grandson) wants head lights on his. Did you grind out the fake lights with a roto tool? Did you use glue something in its place to hold the lights? I plan on using 1.5volt grain of wheat bulbs so I am guessing that I should wire them in parallel so not to have any voltage drop. At least I think I have to do this although I would like Tramp to chime in on this. I see the wires from the coach looks quite stiff, do they hinder the cars movement behind the engine? I have bought some silicone wire that is really soft and pliable to use on my current project but haven't finished it yet.

[Image: Untitled_zpsf688ef86.jpg]

[Image: Untitled1_zpsf341fe5d.jpg]

• mod thana
The N700 I used (I think it was the n700 with sound) had a removable silver section for the lights so just removing it left the neat holes you see in the body,

Yes the redesigned town (quite a job now that I think of it) will have some of the motorized road and hopefully leaving the town across the water to a road vehicle turntable (I have 2 on the way) so a single vehicle can run up and down the road.

Hotwheels back to the future delorean they were very common but a couple of years since release they are getting tricky to find, but that's what ebay is for Tongue

I got a vintage TOMY Trains set 2 (white TGV) in the box, all complete and working for $5 from a charity shop. I am now a believer! haha
  • mod thana
If your powering it from a 1.5v Single AA battery all your 1.5v grain of wheat lamps should be wired in parallel so they all get the same voltage,
Hope it helps
(02-23-2014, 06:25 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: The N700 I used (I think it was the n700 with sound) had a removable silver section for the lights so just removing it left the neat holes you see in the body,

Yes the redesigned town (quite a job now that I think of it) will have some of the motorized road and hopefully leaving the town across the water to a road vehicle turntable (I have 2 on the way) so a single vehicle can run up and down the road.

Hotwheels back to the future delorean they were very common but a couple of years since release they are getting tricky to find, but that's what ebay is for Tongue

I got a vintage TOMY Trains set 2 (white TGV) in the box, all complete and working for $5 from a charity shop. I am now a believer! haha

Bummer, We have the Shinkanse N-700 with sound and the headlights are not removable and cutting them out may be messy if a make a mistake. Do you know if your N-700 is an older release?

Wow ... $5 for a white TGV...unbelievable, I didn't even know there was a White TGV.

Going to be interesting how you are going to span your ocean with the roadway..

(02-23-2014, 08:15 AM)Tramp Wrote: If your powering it from a 1.5v Single AA battery all your 1.5v grain of wheat lamps should be wired in parallel so they all get the same voltage,
Hope it helps

Thanks Tramp
I know you told me this before but I wanted to make sure I remembered it right especially with the low, 1.5, voltage lights.
  • mod thana
I may be wrong on the N700 that I used, it was either the standard release or the sound model possibly even the 3 pack version. sorry I can't be more helpful I will try and find out which one it is. This is because one was stripped and it's drive unit used to repair my Dad's Hyabusa 3 pack version which he dropped on the floor and broke the switch.

EDIT: It is the 3 pack version, sorry for the confusion

For the TOMY road over the water I will either use the beige road girders or offset yellow rail girders maybe eventually going to a large green bridge.

Tramp mine runs on 3v from a battery pack in the first passenger car as the 1.5v was not enough to light the lamps where they matched the eco cars rear light brightness.

[Image: 20130604_111121.jpg]

[Image: 20130604_105503.jpg]

[Image: 20130604_111636.jpg]
  • mod thana
Here is the white TGV Super yes $5 for this set! this one has a light standard too and runs 3v standard

[Image: 20131016_113240.jpg]
  • mod thana