Electrical Engineering *Lighting*

70 Replies, 94202 Views

Yes that would probably do it. I am doing my mental planning of the video right now. Then I need to go outside and tidy up the layout, right all the fallen trees and people, clear the yards of excess rolling stock and work out what I am going to show how long to show each one, what they will haul and how long their runs last for *feel a headache coming lol*
Question for our Electrical experts...

How many 1.5 volt grain of rice bulbs would be ok to connect to one AA 1.5 volt battery. I am not sure how many would be too much of a drain on the battery and I would be changing it all the time. I must add that this will NOT be used on an engine but used on scenery parts. Is 7 too much...more...unlimited? I really don't want to complete a wiring harness and find that I have too many.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Hey super, it all depends on your battery a rubbish battery would struggle but I imagine a good quality rechargeable should manage! Do you know what wattage the lamps are? We could work out what current draw it would take. Although I imagine 7 should be ok!
Hi Tramp, thanks for replying

This is all I could muster on the 1.5 volt bulbs.

I plan on one bulb being a 1.5volt G.O.W. 150mA, I believe this to be brighter than the Grain of wheats.
And 6 grain of wheat/rice bulbs that say...Forward Current (typ/max) 15mA/20mA

Does that help at all? As far as what rechargeable battery's, I use the Tenergy 2500mAh type.
So 270mA....... It should manage it easily, = ~0.3A when you consider a power dash motor takes 2.5A (so I imagine a regular motor takes around half of that?) 2500mah are good batteries and should last a while, I. Generally use vapextech but I don't really think there is much between the brands!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tramp's post:
  • Super
Thanks Tramp

Hmmm...Vapextech batteries...have not heard of them before. Looks like they may not be available in the States but I can buy them from over seas. The AA size (red) looks to be a whopping 2900mAh but they also have a Slow self discharge (green) AA at 2500mAh that will last up to a year charged up in storage. I have a problem with the Tenergy and the name brand rechargeables losing their charge in waiting and when I need them the are low or drained and I have to recharge them. The Tenergy 9 volt is a slow discharge so they work great in smoke detectors and train sets. I might have to try a few of those AA Vapextech slow self discharge ones. Thanks for the tip and the info on the lighting. Smile
moved this thread to the how to section.
(05-04-2014, 07:22 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: Ok I would like to extend a HUGE thanks to Super & Tramp! What a fantastic idea! Here is my first ever installation in my custom 2012 Thomas, rather rudimentary compared to the previous efforts posted here by Super & Tramp but I am very happy with the results!

[Image: 20140504_170012.jpg]

[Image: 20140504_170648.jpg]
on the bottom photo I think rosie is playing hide and peepTongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes emilyfan101's post:
  • thehsvdude
Is using a small 12volt doorbell battery a viable alternative to button cells for lighting coaches with LED's?

12volt Doorbell battery 27a
I'm sure it would be, could you get holders for these batteries? To wire it up you would need x4 white LEDs in series, how many LEDs would you want in your carriage? I've seen something on another forum that shows how to make light bars, I was thinking of doing something similar as it might make the install a little neater
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2014, 02:52 AM by Tramp.)