diesel 9v upgrade

9 Replies, 13070 Views

[Image: 11940310_903290066385880_1637129003_n.jp...e=55E854E1]
HEY GUYS im new here and im just starting to rekindle my childhood interest again and i would like to know how i can change the tomy devious diesel to run on a 9v battery i heard its easier then say someone with a tender. any videos of pictures of aNY KIND?
I believe that engine uses a C cell, right? There should be room for a 9 volt battery.

Welcome to BPT!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dan_In_MN's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
(09-02-2015, 06:49 AM)Dan_In_MN Wrote: I believe that engine uses a C cell, right? There should be room for a 9 volt battery.

Welcome to BPT!

yea but like how do i wire it so it accepts the 9v battery
(09-02-2015, 07:05 AM)Thanos205 Wrote: yea but like how do i wire it so it accepts the 9v battery

Should be the same way it is currently wired. I have added the 9v to several tender attached loco's, but it is usually short lived as they tend to fly off the rails or spin in place as they are so fast. You would need to probably purchase the connector, which goes on the 9v and has a + and - lead. From there just conned the wires to the motor/switch.
(09-02-2015, 07:05 AM)Thanos205 Wrote: yea but like how do i wire it so it accepts the 9v battery

http://www.appropedia.org/Low_voltage_connection_basics
My opinion on the 9volt mods from watching them on YouTube is they are too fast for the tracks and this is why I never tried one. If you are looking for additional speed with little modification I would recommend replacing the motor unit with a Tamiya Power Dash or the like. Simple and easy.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(09-03-2015, 12:44 AM)Super Wrote: My opinion on the 9volt mods from watching them on YouTube is they are too fast for the tracks and this is why I never tried one. If you are looking for additional speed with little modification I would recommend replacing the motor unit with a Tamiya Power Dash or the like. Simple and easy.

i love how fast they are. i want to get a tamiya motor as well for a few of my trains just wanted a super fast train for fun i will add some weights so he dosent fly off the track easily
[Image: smiley-lol.gif]

Then all you need to do is use a 9volt battery clip and solder the positive wire to the metal plate where the "C" battery touches the motor housing and the same with the negative size. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-10-pcs-9V-9-...5d5ccac3dd
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Dan_In_MN
Here is a video where this fellow easily swapped out the "C" size battery in a Diesel 10 for a 9 volt without the use of solder of modifying the chassis at all. He then returned it back to its original form without any trouble. Maybe this can work for you with Diesel.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Thanos205
The good thing is it will just run backwards if the wires are reversed.