Super's Mod's, Customs, Layout's & Video's 👍

420 Replies, 524702 Views

And now I remember why I have a new in box Plarail Hiro! Seeing this reminded me that I had been inspired by seeing this one above to convert it into a Polar Express.
[-] The following 3 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Finno, Super, Tharazero1
@OTR
And a full 4 months to Xmas too! Big Grin
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I always thought the long sloped rails were a good idea but thought them to look odd in a Layout. Mostly because the rails look to be 'Floating' in the air with nothing under it. My first thoughts were to sculpt and paint foam with hot wire tools and make it so there was no need for a pier on the upper end. I have always wanted to take a try at that foam hobby but because it would take time acquiring all the proper sculpting tools and large foam sheets and the time it would take in gaining some experience I opted for something quicker to fill the need before jumping into that.

Made from foam poster board with embossed sheets from Noch glued on. I even made some sides for the elevated rails that creates a tunnel when a rail is run directly under. Until I dive into the foam sculpting these will do. I am also going to create another set using the Granite Block embossed sheets from Noch. Great products but somewhat hard to get here in the States.

Forgive the low quality of the photo's...I have just got to get a new Camera. Dodgy

[Image: DSCN0680.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0683.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0686.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0690.jpg]
[-] The following 8 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator, DuckGWR, Finno, Mister No, Off The Rails, Tharazero1, violater
That’s a great idea! Years ago, my local hobby shops carried lots of embossed sheets and other scenery pieces from Noch, Faller, Brawa and so on but as you said, they’re a lot harder to find in the US nowadays.

I’m struggling with sculpted styrofoam too! Just no time or proper tools to learn at the moment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
How have I never seen anyone do this with Plarail or TrackMaster track before? It makes the sloped track and risers look that much better (and more similar to a few other systems, not to mention real life and Sodor). I do understand adding such supports in the factories would greatly increase the amount of plastic for each slope/riser, but it would've made such a big difference. Maybe another reason was to make them able to climb blankets/pillows/plush/whatever other objects that could pass as "hills". I especially like how the bridge and raised section turned out with the visible walls, and it could also help reduce the amount of risers on one layout if done in a certain way. A bright and inspirational idea.
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Mister No, Super
Great work, Super! It looks stunning, especially with those gray track... and gray everything! Smile
The old slopes had at least those middle built-in pillars, but these new really are "floating". This is sooo much better, it looks fantastic. I was thinking of "closing" the space under the R-18 curved slopes in such a way too...
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
I do like gray Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Mister No, Tharazero1
Solid idea and very good choice of colour scheme.

You can try this next time.

[Image: Untitled.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like violater's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator, Finno, Mister No, Super
I’m looking forward to seeing this in some future videos! Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Mister No, Super
@Vio
I had seen that famous YouTubers covers before and I even think he shows ow to make them with folded card stock. The next time I try something different will be the sculpted rack face in foam though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, violater