Latest Purchases

47 Replies, 63074 Views

(08-08-2017, 05:56 PM)Cloudman Wrote: No, no fancy stations, and some way short of a full set. No steam locos or 700 series Shinkansens (Apart from the Doctor Yellow). Only three of the numerous colour variants of the modern commuter units. Also more Shinkansens and the maglev. Others, too, no doubt. Still, I've got most of the ones I want. Which prompts two questions.

1. Is there a definitive complete list somewhere of the Advance trains issued?

2. Is there confirmation that Takara Tomy has pulled the plug? Advance still appears on their official website.

Thanks, Super. Yes there's a layout. This is the latest photo I have.

It's still just loosely laid. I've since put in some grass mat to replace the grey cloth and am psyching myself up to take it all apart and fix it down properly. There's a terminus (no buildings yet) on the right hand extension and provision for a future extension to the left to give me a rolling stock depot, which will mean I can get more trains in and out of service in an operating session without needing the Great Hand in The Sky. Lots more trees to go in. One or two more buildings needed, though I don't want to overcrowd it. And I need to re-pin the sky backscenes the right way round!

Nice layout, one of the reasons I asked about the stations is that you get the 'transit' stations that were released last year. These allow you to run multiple trains on the same circuit of track, stopping one and waiting for the next to come along before releasing the first. Using this there is the potential to get several trains running round the same circuit if its large enough not to become too overcrowded.

In a similar vein there was also the new 'super station' that arrived last year that has multiple lines running in with the ability to hold the train for a certain length of time, do a transit type release, or just allow some lines to be 'express lines'. Add to that the sound effects as well and it is a superb addition to any layout. This is one I suspect will become highly sought after if the range is indeed now dead.

I did see a link to an official Tomy post that stated the line was now discontinued (no reason given why), I'm not sure but I think it was plarnold who posted it. Sad

(08-08-2017, 06:50 PM)Super Wrote: Maybe the 2 page list over at Hobby Search can help you with the released Advance Trains. I don't know if its all of them but maybe most. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/2565/0/1

I am not into the Advance line but I must say I like how your Layout is starting. Is that a modified short piece of blue track with ballast in the foreground? You have the new style curves, do they really correct the problems that the Advance trains had slowing down on the regular curves? Looks like you need to be looking for regular straights in grey instead of blue. I could never figure out why Plarail didn't release grey expansion track packs for the Advance Line and I really can't figure out why they released those 1" sloped rails in blue when they were specifically released for the Advanced line. Even though they can be used with the regular size Plarail layouts (I use several of them) they were specifically released for the Advance trains because they learned later that the trains would not work well on the regular 17.5" sloped Plarail straits. The set even comes with the grey risers specifically made for the Advance trains because the regular Plarail risers could not be used so why not make the track grey also, I don't get that. Oh Geese...I turned this into a rant...sorry.

I know what you mean about the grey tracks issue Super, its something that annoys me a bit also, but that's life I guess. One solution is to use multiple 're-railers' if you can find enough or alternatively if you have the 'new' track expansion set that has the fancy new curves it also comes with a number of straights (although not that many).

There was also the 'winter' Tomy set released, was that white track or grey track?

BTW Cloudman; you asked about a definitive list of loco's? Well this isn't 100% up to date (I'm missing a few of the latest releases and sets), but these are the ones I know about, it's worth bearing in mind some of the solo loco's re-use the same model number (AS-01 or whatever), the designation AS-nnN or AS-nnNN indicate subsequent re-releases under that basic code (i.e. it still says AS-nn) on the packaging...

AS-01 Shinkansen Series 0
AS-01N N700A Shinkansen
AS-02 Japan Pla Rail Bullet Train Series 500 Shinkansen
AS-02N E5 Shinkansen Hayabusa
AS-03 Type 923 Dr. Yellow
AS-04 E231 system 500 Bandai Yamanote Line
AS-05 485 series limited express
AS-05N EF510 Red Thunder
AS-06 Nankai Rapit
AS-06N Skinkansen Toreiyu Tsubasa
AS-07 Shinkansen Series 700
AS-07N Kintetsu limited express tourism Shimakaze
AS-08 Meitetsu Panorama Car
AS-08N Japan Train Steam Locomotive C57 No.1 SL Yamaguchi
AS-09 JR Bullet Train Series 700 Shinkansen Hikari Railstar
AS-09N EF510 bed limited express Cassiopeia
AS-09NN Keikyu 1000 Form Aluminium Train
AS-10 N700-8000 Shinkansen Mizuho/Sakura
AS-11 Series E233 Keihin Tohoku Line
AS-12 JR Japan Electric Bullet Train Series 100
AS-12N Keisei Skyliner Airport Express
AS-13 E3 Shinkansen Komachi
AS-14 Express Train Series 165
AS-14N D51 200 Steam (Blue Carriages)
AS-15 E259 Narita Express
AS-16 E4 Shinkansen Max
AS-17 200 Shinkansen
AS-17N E235 - Yamanote Line
AS-18 E233 Chuo Line
AS-18N E233 Shonan based color
Dual Loco Set Shinkansen E2 Series Yamabiko & E3 Series Tsubasa
Special Edition E233 system Saikyo Line
Special Edition EF510 Kashiopeya
Special Edition EVA 500 Shinkansen
Starter Set Shinkansen Series E5
Starter Set D51 200 Steam (Blue Carriages)
W7 System Hokuriku Shinkansen Shine IR
Dual Loco Set E231 and E233 Suburban

A quick count gives you 40 loco's above Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017, 08:50 PM by Nigels.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • ActionChugger, ripley802, Super
There is a lot more than 40 I think.

Plarail Club is not an official Takara Tomy website. It's an unofficial fan club for information and news. I have been helping out but it is difficult to maintain the site when we are all busy.

Plarail Club - End of Plarail Advance Product Line

I can confirm that the Plarail Advance line has been discontinued. They are no longer sold in Japan and the latest products that were due to be released this month have been cancelled.

The August Plarail Advance products included:
- Dr Yellow Basic Set
- Oigawa Thomas Basic Set
- Osaka Loop Line
- GENBI E3 Shinkansen

All of them have been cancelled with the Osaka Loop Line being officially announced and then cancelled on the official Takara Tomy website for Plarail Advance.

-plarnold
[-] The following 4 users Like plarnold's post:
  • Cloudman, Nigels, ripley802, Super
Hi Plarnold,

As I said I've not kept the list up to date, but there is highly likely to be more than 40 available. I only know about the ones I have or have heard of, I wouldn't necessarily know about all the special editions that may have been released.

Shame they decided to can the range now though, especially if the next release was going to include a Thomas loco!! That could have perhaps pepped up the sales if that was the problem and of course led to further Thomas items which I would expect to have been highly popular based on the prices the Tomy 'N' gauge Thomas range garner...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Thanks Nigels for the list, and thanks Super for the Hobby Search link. I'll have a go at a consolidated list as a starter towards building a final definitive list.

Thanks also for the confirmation that Advance is officially a dead parrot now. Some of us are still collecting and running Hornby trains 50 years after they went out of production so I'm not giving up yet. I've had a little emergency splurge, so a few more are on the way from Japan. But if anyone knows a source for a Nankai Rapi:t Star Wars or an Aluminium Train I'd love to hear of it.

Here are the promised photos of my three latest purchases: E3 in white and silver (with same in Toreiyu livery for comparison) plus Cassopeia in standard and special edition form.

I've an updated photo of the layout also, but that seems off-topic for this thread so I'll open a new one if that's OK.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cloudman's post:
  • Super
You're welcome Cloudman, nice to know there's someone else out there that likes these little marvels, why they decided to kill off the range I'll never know as I love them even more than the standard PlaRail due to the more accurate dimensions and the level of detail.

As far as I know there isn't and never has been a star wars variant of the Nankai Rapi:t unfortunately, if there had I would have bought that for sure. As it happens I intend to try and do a custom using a standard Nankai, respray it and try to make some decals for the decoration. Just I can never seem to find the time to do it lol!

As for the 'Aluminium Train' do you mean the 'Hankyu Series 1000 (AS12)'? If so let me know and I can send you a link to a seller Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Cloudman, Super
There is no Plarail Advance Star Wars train.

The aluminium one you are referring to is the Keikyu 1000 series (red train). The aluminium is in the train name because the real train is aluminium.

-plarnold
[-] The following 1 user Likes plarnold's post:
  • Super
Here's my starting shot at a comprehensive list of Advance trains. (I've not included other products.) Product numbers are those that appear on the box. Where more than one product has been issued with that number, the suffix N or NN ... is added to the later issues. This does not appear on the box.
The titles of the products are those given in English on the box, where known.
I've done a fuller table showing date of introduction (according to Hobby Search), ACS compatibility, and multiple-set coupling, plus outstanding queries, but I can't squeeze that into a forum-compatible format.

Sources are:
List provided by Nigels (thanks Nigels), list on Hobby Search website (thanks Super for the reference) and my own collection.

Numbered products
AS-01 Series 0 Shinkansen
AS-01N N700A Shinkansen Nozomi
AS-02 Series 500 Shinkansen
AS-02N E5 Shinkansen Hayabusa
AS-03 Type 923-3000 Dr. Yellow
AS-04 Series E231-500 Bandai Yamanote Line
AS-05 Series 485 Express
AS-05N EF510 Red Thunder
AS-06 Nankai Rapi:t
AS-06N Series E3 Shinkansen Toreiyu
AS-07 Shinkansen Series 700
AS-07N Kintetsu Premium Express tourism "Shimakaze"
AS-08 Meitetsu Panoramacar
AS-08N Steam Locomotive Type C57 No.1 "SL Yamaguchi"
AS-09 Series 700 Shinkansen Hikari Railstar
AS-09N Limited Express Sleeping Cars "Cassiopeia" with EF510
AS-09NN Keikyu 1000 Form Aluminium Train
AS-10 Series N700-8000 Shinkansen Mizuho/Sakura
AS-11 Series E233 Keihin Tohoku Line
AS-12 Series 100 Shinkansen
AS-12N Keisei Skyliner
AS12NN Hankyu Series 1000
AS-13 Series E3-0 Shinkansen
AS-14 Series 165
AS-14N D51 200 No. 200
AS-15 Series E259 Narita Express
AS-16 Series E4 Shinkansen Max
AS-17 Series 200 Shinkansen
AS-17N Series E235 Yamanote Line
AS-18 Series E233 Chuo Line
AS-18N Series E233 Shonan Color

Unnumbered and special editions
Series E233 System Saikyo Line
500 Type EVA
Series E231-500 Yamanote line
Limited Express Rapi:t Star Wars (may not exist but listed by Hobby search)
Limited Express Sleeping Cars "Cassiopeia" with EF510 "Hokutosei" Color

Sets
Series E5 Shinkansen Connect & double track point rail set
Series N700-3000 Shinkansen Entry Set
Series E231 Sobu Line & Series E233 Chuo Line double set
Series E2 Yamabiko/Series E3 Tsubasa connect and guide rail set
Series E6 Shinkansen Connect & Bridge Approach Rail set
Series E6 Shinkansen Komachi IR control set
W7 System Hokuriku Shinkansen "Kagayaki" & IR control set
Series L0 Superconducting Maglev and overpass rail set
Starter Set Shinkansen Series E5
Steam Locomotive D51 200 Entry Set

All additions, deletions and corrections gratefully received.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cloudman's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Nigels
I wasn't too far off the full list then which makes me feel a bit better lol!