capsule range question

21 Replies, 20388 Views

After seeing this post I dug out a couple for a photoshoot. I got these from a gashapon back in... 2008 or 2009, one of those years lol.

[Image: dSYDgSc.jpg]
[Image: FkhoDU6.jpg]
[Image: MULcgHc.jpg]
[Image: PVB48aX.jpg]
[Image: gRR83EM.png]
Are you sure that is Capsule? The tracks look a bit different maybe smaller.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(09-01-2016, 11:58 PM)Super Wrote: Are you sure that is Capsule? The tracks look a bit different maybe smaller.

They are not part of the wind up line, but they are capsule toys so I thought they were relevant none the less. Not sure if these came before the wind up, or if they were just a side product, but they are official Tomy.
[Image: gRR83EM.png]
Oh, I didn't realize there were different types of Capsules, thanks killer.
Hi Super,

There are indeed several manufacturers of these capsule toys, I've seen Tomy (obviously), Epoch, Yujin and some others I can't remember.

The ranges are also a lot bigger than you'd expect, there is the obvious Tomy Thomas range/sets as well as some Tomy 'real world' trains (shinkansens/suburbans etc...).

But in addition if you go 'off piste' and try the other ranges you can find other stuff as well, for example the Epoch range are modelled around the real world trains, but the big difference is that some instead of being wind-ups are actually powered. You often get a lead car with an LED light, motor car in one of the mid-cars, and on some sets a trailing car with different colour LED.

Also in the Epoch range are some interesting buildings which have a motion detector which apparently then causes them to produce some sounds of some sort. The interesting thing about these is that maybe they could be cannibalised to produce the circuitry we were discussing to provide say lights at a crossing or something.

In the Yujin range I've noticed that they have clones of the Tomy Hyper Guardian range in capsule scale as well as some other stuff, how legal they are I don't know but you see them in the auctions. You can also get Chuggington for anyone interested, although I think they are genuine Tomy from what i recall Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
Thanks Nigels
You see, I just learned something more...again. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I had always assumed that "Capsule" was only associated with Plarail like it was a trade mark. So the word "Capsule" really only means something from a coin machine?
(09-02-2016, 08:12 PM)Super Wrote: Thanks Nigels
You see, I just learned something more...again. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I had always assumed that "Capsule" was only associated with Plarail like it was a trade mark. So the word "Capsule" really only means something from a coin machine?

I suppose so, I often see the word "Gachopan" in the listings as well, I don't know if this is the Japanese term for capsules or whatever, but it seems fairly common in use. I'm sure one of our Japanese members will put us right about all this at some point.

The Epoch trains are particularly impressive with the motorised car, puts them in the same ring as PlaRail, but in capsule size. The other nice thing is that the Epoch and Tomy ranges have the same gauge, so although the track types are different and not compatible connection-wise they are at least able to use either model on both types of track. I've not got any of the Yujin yet so can't comment on those Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Finno
Thanks Nigels

Hurry up and start a collection of all the different styles as I am excited to see you do a video of comparison. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(09-02-2016, 09:50 PM)Super Wrote: Thanks Nigels

Hurry up and start a collection of all the different styles as I am excited to see you do a video of comparison. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Hhhmmm, maybe I shouldn't mention the job lot of Epoch I just won lol!
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • sinkillerj, sunhuntin, Super
Bumping this old thread for a good reason. After many years I finally gave my promise.

Thomas Capsule Plarail Wiki
[-] The following 2 users Like jdogman's post:
  • chrisjo, Super