annie with sound

14 Replies, 17024 Views

hello everyone. what a crazy year its been for me. havn't really had the time to visit.

in my searches i came across an annie that makes sounds. the wheels are not your normal rolling stock wheels. it dosent talk but when it is pushed or pulled makes a chuffing sound.

i wondered if anyone had more info on this piece?
Hi Trevor379, welcome back.

Could this be the Annie that was connected to the Steam Along Thomas? Might you have a picture?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Hey Trevor, I'm not quite sure what set they come from, but the sound is produced by an internal spring mechanisms...some are louder than others depending on the tension and wear of the spring.
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
they came in a tomy set called thomas adventure set, that also included "mini dolls" of the fat controller, driver and fireman [i think those are the right names?]
the annie uses the same mechanism as the vintage tomy magnetic coupler set called chug along express. the sound is created as muddy said, which is "powered" by having tyres on one set of wheels.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=tomy+t...oRp9ntw%3D

looking on google tells me there have been several versions, including one that came with talking thomas. assumption there that the annie would not be a chug along due to her being the battery compartment.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2015, 06:50 PM by sunhuntin.)
[-] The following 3 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super, Ucwepn
thanks everyone. ahhhhhh yes the infamous adventure set. the only set that has 1 title but could mean a dozen different sets?!? anyways thx for the info i had to see if i had this piece. i'm so behind on updating what i have. i wonder why this car wasn't highlighted in the set? in addition it has to be 1 of a kind-right? any other sets have this? here or abroad?
i'm real curious on this piece. i didn't know this car existed until after i purchased this set. why is it not highlighted?!?
no one finds this odd?
Check out Muddy's latest video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOhLbK730lk
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
I recall Leokimvideo showing it in one of his Thomas collection videos, and Ucwepn repainting one (or several) to go with his custom Jinty. I wish I knew how to make something like that with normal rolling stock.
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • mitzalplik, MuddyPoppins
(12-16-2015, 03:32 PM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: ... the sound is produced by an internal spring mechanism...

I bought a rather disappointing job-lot last week. I was reflecting that I'd paid a bit more than I should have, and ought to have looked more closely at the wear and tear evident in the photos, when I picked up the very last Annie/Clarabel in the lot and turned her over to see how old she was.

One double-take later, the lot suddenly seemed rather more interesting...

Twangy Annie - Under the Hood

As seen in Muddy's Video, this is what she looks like underneath:

[Image: IMGP1213.jpg]

Inside the chassis, there's a gear-train:
[Image: IMGP1215.jpg]

On the end of the gear train there's a partial gear with only five teeth, covering about a quarter of its circumference:
[Image: IMGP1218.jpg]

As it rotates, this partial gear strums along a spring that's anchored (at the RH end in this photo) on another sub-assembly screwed inside the body shell:
[Image: IMGP1220.jpg]

The end of the spring that's not anchored to the frame pulls on a bar on the other side of the sub-assembly:
[Image: IMGP1221.jpg]

This bar gently presses down on a shell-shaped metal sounding-board:
[Image: IMGP1225.jpg]

So the partial gear twangs on the spring, the spring wobbles the bar, and the sounding-board amplifies the twanging noise, which does sound a bit like chuffing (but not a lot!).

I agree with Trevor379, it does seem strange that this feature doesn't appear to be mentioned anywhere on the outside of the box of the Thomas Adventure Set (Tomica World #7408) in which it was found.
[-] The following 4 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, mitzalplik, MuddyPoppins, ripley802