Dumica (Tomy Knockoff) Comparison Review

17 Replies, 18684 Views

A Plarail/Tomy Knockoff
Dumica Steam Train Set Comparison

Simple Definition of Knockoff: A Cheap or Inferior Copy of Something

Why Super?

When I first saw this set I knew it was an inferior product to what we are all use to but the Engine, Tender and Wagons intrigued me as custom modifications crossed my mind when I first laid eyes on it. The rest of the set I wasn't interested in but the whole thing wasn't that expensive so I said why not. I didn't realize those front lights flashed but I had an idea of moving a white light up to the proper place above the smokebox door and change the flashing to steady I also had an idea of removing the back of the cab like a real, open cab, steam engine and create a fire box with a flickering light inside to simulate a real fire in the boiler. Because of the length of this engine there is plenty of room in this model to do that.

The Engine

The engine, tender and wagons are larger and longer than the normal Tomy/Plarail and Trackmaster trains and barely make it under the yellow riser. Uses 2 AA batteries and all workings are within the engine compartment. The motor is not free wheeling and there is no way to turn off the sound. The sound is a generic loop that is heard in other toys but seems to be more suited to a RailRoad Crossing than an engine. Motor is single speed and neither fast or slow. The plastics used are a step below what we are use to in Plarail/Tomy and even Trackmaster.

The Set

So evident that the tracks, bridge, yellow risers, tunnel and shed are exact copy's from Plarail/Tomy but inferior in the plastic used. The tracks are compatible with regular blue Tomy tracks and are almost exactly the same color but the plastic used is not as good. The yellow risers, the tracks and green bridge all lack snugness and by that I mean not snaps together and stays there. I first set of the layout on carpeting and because the connectors for the track fit loosely the train had a hard time with the bumps. The yellow risers do not tightly together or under the A & B sloped curves. In addition to the set, at first, missing the engine and tender, it came with two why switch rails which were supposed to be one male and one female it included two female. The seller did ship a replacement engine and tender.

Summary

All in all, you get what you pay for here...a knockoff with less than the quality of plastic we are used to in Plarail, Tomy or Trackmaster. Because of the Engines sized I have decided not to proceed with any modifications so the set set will be listed cheaply on Ebay. If you need a set that you don't care about or maybe one to take to the beach of play with in the yard, for the prices this may be for you. Modifying it to free wheel and not use battery's may be great for an outdoor toy but if you want something of better quality for indoors, save up and buy the better sets from Plarail, Tomy or even Trackmaster before the Revolution series.

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like Super's post:
  • ActionChugger, sunhuntin, Tramp, Ucwepn
yes more vids from Super Big Grin
Evan Almighty and His Train Collection
[Image: banner12.jpg]
Well on one hand that's too bad, but on the other it really makes me appreciate what we are all used to!!Smile
Sorry it turned out disappointing for you SuperSad
Thank you for trying thoughSmile
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
Its OKay Muddy, it is what it is. I wasn't expecting much and therefore didn't get my hopes up.
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Tramp
so the bridge, tunnel and everything came in that set? this means i will need to check those as well :O

my sort out just got a whole lot harder.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
You can usually tell just by the look and feel as the knockoffs just don't feel like the real thing and the plastics are usually inferior to the real Tomy.
things like the tunnels and bridges will throw me. the track can be easy enough as it looks oily under lights and feels bad. lol
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
I  realized that this Dumica is in fact from Poland...

I am genuinely ashamed of them.
Train it, plane it, you name it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreatGordonFan's post:
  • Super
Really?....I was assuming that these were from China. There are many of these that are boxed under different company names so is Dumica a Polish company that may have bought these from China to sell under their brand?
Link to Dumica website

[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super