» Views: 829
shuttle train
Last Post: Vio
04-06-2020 04:33 AM
» Replies: 18
» Views: 1876

Gmeehanfilms' Repainting and Mods
Hey everyone at Blueplastictracks!

First of all, i hope this is the right place to put this thread, and that the title is "accurate" to what i've done with my engines.

Secondly, last night (New Zealand time) I painted my Tomy James, as one of the stickers was missing from his tender. I think this took me a good half hour or hour to do, as I couldn't get the #5 painted well. Smile
I then repainted the buffers and top of the cab, and painted the 3 things on the front of the footplate (sorry, don't know what they're called Huh) and painted the inside of the cab black as well.
Here is the images: http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/gmeeha...0repainted
[-] The following 1 user Likes gmeehanfilms's post:
  • DalaGStanator
You have the right place George

I admire your persistence as hand painting details is time consuming and tedious. Good job!
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Nice restoration! However, I would've recommended using a ruler to get straight lining on the tender. What I would've done for the number would be to dip a tiny 5 in yellow paint on its correct side and "stamp" it on the sides.

Here's what I mean:

[Image: jamesd10.png]

You could add the black border yourself after the application. BTW, the "3 things on the front of the footplate" are lamp irons.
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • gmeehanfilms, WoodWheel92
Hey everyone at BluePlasticTracks!

So I've recently redone the paint design on James' Tender on both sides, you can see the two new pictures here: http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/gmeeha...0repainted
I think it looks much better with the smaller 5, and i'll probably work on painting the footplate and running board white next! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes gmeehanfilms's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Looking good Gmee
Hey everyone at BluePlasticTracks, once again!

So I just finished painting the running board and footplate white!
Album
http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/gmeeha...0repainted

[Image: DSC00584_zps1m5pgzgm.jpg]

[Image: DSC00583_zpsxhod5bzu.jpg]

What do you guys think? Do you have anything i could improve on? Huh
Thanks for all your support! Also at some stage i will hopefully paint the lines on the side of the engine silver (sorry, cannot remember what they're called) as well as the side rods! Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like gmeehanfilms's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super, Ucwepn
Aye there, Gmee.

The black striping on the tender still looks too rough, and is still crooked, even though I suggested using a ruler (or anything else that's straight). The number does look better than the previous attempt, even though it's off-center.

Did you remember to cover up the parts that should still be red while painting the running board? It's somewhat sloppy at the front compared to the sides. Also, the "lines on the sides" you were referring to are the handrails, which the driver and fireman would hold on to in case they'd have to stand on the running board, so as not to fall off. It should be easy to see what they are anyway.

How did you manage not to paint the wheel arches/splashers by accident? Those spaces between them are very thin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • gmeehanfilms
use tape next time to protect the white paint from spreading too much.
As per dalagstanator, the colour looks spot on, but if I was you I would mask the sides of the running boards whilst you paint the top to prevent over run, you can buy masking tape especially for this. Other than that bit of over run you've done a great job.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tramp's post:
  • DalaGStanator, gmeehanfilms
Keep up the good work Gmee. I like what you are doing.

(06-04-2016, 04:45 PM)gmeehanfilms Wrote: Also at some stage i will hopefully paint the lines on the side of the engine silver (sorry, cannot remember what they're called) as well as the side rods! Smile

I believe you might be referring to the hand rails or sometimes called the grab bars.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Hey everyone at BluePlasticTracks!
Thanks for all the tips you've given me! I will repaint the black striping on the tender with a ruler this time, as last time I forgot. I might also use masking tape as you guys said it helps to protect the parts that aren't to be painted.
I unscrewed the engine from the four screws holding it down, then lifted that up and unscrewed a fifth screw that released the bottom part of James, meaning i wasn't in any risk of painting the wheel archers/splashers!
Once again, thanks for all the help! As this is my second time painting an engine (first time was Thomas, who I still need to drill cab windows out for), it is always helpful to talk with people who can give me pointers!
[-] The following 2 users Like gmeehanfilms's post:
  • Ucwepn, DalaGStanator
(06-05-2016, 07:39 AM)gmeehanfilms Wrote: Hey everyone at BluePlasticTracks!
Thanks for all the tips you've given me! I will repaint the black striping on the tender with a ruler this time, as last time I forgot. I might also use masking tape as you guys said it helps to protect the parts that aren't to be painted.
I unscrewed the engine from the four screws holding it down, then lifted that up and unscrewed a fifth screw that released the bottom part of James, meaning i wasn't in any risk of painting the wheel archers/splashers!
Once again, thanks for all the help! As this is my second time painting an engine (first time was Thomas, who I still need to drill cab windows out for), it is always helpful to talk with people who can give me pointers!

May I ask, but what kind of paint did you use for the running board?