What did you do to your trains today?

575 Replies, 568938 Views

Actually it's just more of the styrofoam laid down without any modifications. The texture really gives a nice effect of snow. Sometimes I also sprinkled fake snow from the craft store in random areas and on top of the seams where I put the styrofoam tiles together. It really comes out nice. I might have some photos of that. I'll look around for them.

And the risers are made by gluing several pieces of styrofoam together with toothpicks run through them to give them strength. Then I take a hot knife and cut the sides to make the rocky shape. I paint the sides with grey paint and then dry-brush with a little white. Instant snowy cliffs. Very easy and inexpensive to do.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019, 12:38 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Engineer Bob's post:
  • Finno, MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails
Very well done Bob. What kind of hot knife do you use, home made?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I have a cheap one I bought at A.C. Moore and its works okay on the styrofoam we are talking about but struggles with the heavy duty stuff. I also have one from hotwirefoamfactory.com and you can tell the difference in how well it cuts. But if you are just going to work with the white styrofoam the cheap one is fine.
[-] The following 2 users Like Engineer Bob's post:
  • Finno, Super
@ Engineer Bob: Thanks for the information!
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Finno, Super
Did a tiny bit of modding today to create a coach for the Benkei to pull, and a tanker for the Yoshitsune.
[Image: C4763-D3-A-E4-FD-4-E99-8-EDF-73-A1925-EE3-B4.jpg]

[Image: CF7-CAECE-CA96-4255-88-D5-0-A12-A800-EFF5.jpg]
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Finno, Off The Rails
Those look fantastic Muddy. Did you swap out for red wheels for the Benkei Coach

Love the match of aqua colors on the Yoshitune Tanker and black spoked wheels. Are those wheels from a James tender? Is that a custom Yoshitsune Shield sticker that you made? Did you paint the tanker straps black? That is the perfect touch.

The use of black couplings top off both trains perfectly. Great ideas Muddy and great work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Thanks Super, yes just a red wheel swap on the coach.
The tanker however, as simple as it seems, was a real pain.
Finding black wheels on the same type of axle was not easy, and sadly a spare Rusty and Skarloey we’re both permanently disabled to make it happenSad The badge came from a leftover unused Rescue City decal sheet, as did the fine black pinstripes.
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Finno, Super
They look great
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
playing with my son.

i love him so much!
[Image: IMG-20191118-191915.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20191118-191940.jpg]
there is no time card for being a parent

[Image: IMG-20191118-204243.jpg]

sheer carnage! thank goodness for a scrap heap!
[-] The following 1 user Likes trevor369's post:
  • Finno
Well it is kids that we are here....when we were kids and when we have offspring. Thanks for sharing Trevor. Does he like the Boulder set?