Why Don't Trains Have Cabooses Anymore?

7 Replies, 8814 Views

Why Don't Trains Have Cabooses Anymore?

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Ucwepn
What was their actual purpose in the USA Super? Is it the equivalent of our 'Guards Vans' that would be used to carry baggage, bikes and other big items?

If so my guess would be that cars happened and most people with lots of luggage now use those so they ceased to have a function. On most passenger trains these days people keep their luggage with them if they got any...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(01-18-2017, 09:10 PM)Nigels Wrote: What was their actual purpose in the USA Super?

LOL...I thought the video explained that pretty well Smile
What's the point of this thread, if any? Just wondering. I've seen this in my recommendations a couple times. Was hoping to see some kind of discussion topic or question(s) accompanied with it, Super.
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
Nothing's stopping you from having a discussion about it Miksolo. There are still guards or conductors in most cases but the trains have much better dymanic braking than in times past and there is also the deadmans switch which is meant to prevent runaways much as the conductor/guard did in the past with a caboose/guards van.
I use to have a friend back in the day that was either called a Brakeman or a Switchman that use to ride the later Cabooses until they were ended. He had to know what all the whistle...I mean horns sounds were for and also had to sometimes jump off and manually pull the levers to switch a point. He said it was an easy job and they could pick and choose when a route was available. He would be in the Caboose for several days and said he slept a lot. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Ucwepn
(01-19-2017, 12:21 AM)Super Wrote: LOL...I thought the video explained that pretty well Smile

I'm not like AC and watch every video Super, I just don't get the time mate Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Well, now what was essentially a rolling office is now replaced by a blinking light. Due to the fact that we can to waybills electronically and we have Radio Control, what was once 'Buzz's Lazer' is really just a blinking light, if you get my drift.
I AM NOT DEAD. Just inactive. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROKMAN1445's post:
  • Ucwepn