Powerful Gordon Repair/swap.

25 Replies, 28794 Views

(01-28-2017, 11:35 PM)ripley802 Wrote: Apparently on the regular style Gordon they use super glue to hold the face onto the shell. And, well, it snapped off.

Could you swap the whole smoke box? The old angry Gordons smoke box looks to be made of a different plastic as the blue on the supports has not discolored like the rest of him or is that glued on also?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
(01-28-2017, 04:25 PM)Miksolo Wrote: That reminds me; probably not on topic but just a quick question: is customthomas.com missing any products for anyone else? I know Powerful Gordon would be gone soon, but I think Mike's quit entirely, it seems. There's not a single search result nor item listing still on his site.

Hi Miksolo, Mike informed me late last year that he had sold all 10 powerful Gordon tributes and as far as I know he wont be doing any more. I asked him to mold an angry face for James and perhaps sell those next but I don't know if he will.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • ripley802
(01-29-2017, 05:51 AM)Super Wrote: Could you swap the whole smoke box? The old angry Gordons smoke box looks to be made of a different plastic as the blue on the supports has not discolored like the rest of him or is that glued on also?

Sorry that's what I meant. The whole piece, smokebox and face are glued to the shell. But on the Angry Gordon they just slide off..
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
(01-29-2017, 06:35 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: Hi Miksolo, Mike informed me late last year that he had sold all 10 powerful Gordon tributes and as far as I know he wont be doing any more. I asked him to mold an angry face for James and perhaps sell those next but I don't know if he will.
There were only 10 Powerful Gordons? I thought there were far more, huh. I thought they would've been a fairly hot seller. I had always thought that he made at least 100.
However, what I'm more worried about is the fact that nothing is left on his site. No coaches, no tankers, no Diesel 10.

If he doesn't do an angry James, there's always the chance of convincing Sean to resize his 3d printable faces to fit things other than Bachmann engines.

The back coupling on the old Gordon looks odd, Ripley. Is that just me, or is it actually different from a regular Plarail coupling? If it was just an older design, I don't remember ever seeing it on any older engines that I own.
Creator of upcoming series "Sudrian Tales"
Amateur voice actor
Still haven't painted FFF's Daisy lol sorry my guy (i promise I'll get that airbrush kit soon)
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2017, 06:08 PM by Miksolo.)
Hey Mr Ripley,

I was just looking at those pictures and it seems very odd that the wheels, pipes etc... remained perfectly normal blue, but the boiler/bodywork/tender have changed colour as they have. Silly question maybe but did they actually change colour or was it always meant to be that colour?

I know it looks faded, but it seems too consistent whilst the other parts like the wheels etc... are pristine blue, somehow if it were faded say to sunlight I would expect some parts to be lighter/darker than others - unless the pictures don't reflect that accurately.

Still reading further down it sounds like its too late to save the old girl as you're already well into the customisation so I hope it all works out right for you Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
It's just a reaction to something and how they were stored and it is now discolored, they were all the same color when new. Some of my 2000 era trains are having the same thing happen my original western release TOMY Gordon from around 2001 has also discolored.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, ripley802
(01-29-2017, 07:30 PM)Ucwepn Wrote: It's just a reaction to something and how they were stored and it is now discolored, they were all the same color when new. Some of my 2000 era trains are having the same thing happen my original western release TOMY Gordon from around 2001 has also discolored.

I'm pretty sure it is from nicotine.
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • ripley802, Ucwepn
(01-29-2017, 07:12 PM)Nigels Wrote: Hey Mr Ripley,

I was just looking at those pictures and it seems very odd that the wheels, pipes etc... remained perfectly normal blue, but the boiler/bodywork/tender have changed colour as they have. Silly question maybe but did they actually change colour or was it always meant to be that colour?

I know it looks faded, but it seems too consistent whilst the other parts like the wheels etc... are pristine blue, somehow if it were faded say to sunlight I would expect some parts to be lighter/darker than others - unless the pictures don't reflect that accurately.

Still reading further down it sounds like its too late to save the old girl as you're already well into the customisation so I hope it all works out right for you Smile
Yeah it is for sure discolored. I had a few others like this where it almost seems like the Plastic is dried out. I mean litterly if you move/pry it wrong it crumbles.. a real shame..

(01-29-2017, 07:40 PM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: I'm pretty sure it is from nicotine.

This may be what's happening as it seems yellowed almost which with the blue make a green tint.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2017, 08:58 PM by ripley802.)
(01-29-2017, 08:57 PM)ripley802 Wrote: Yeah it is for sure discolored. I had a few others like this where it almost seems like the Plastic is dried out. I mean litterly if you move/pry it wrong it crumbles.. a real shame..

This may be what's happening as it seems yellowed almost which with the blue make a green tint.

I guess it could be nicotine, but it still seems strange that the chassis/wheels etc... haven't been affected, even the running boards are still white?!?
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(01-29-2017, 09:39 PM)Nigels Wrote: I guess it could be nicotine, but it still seems strange that the chassis/wheels etc... haven't been affected, even the running boards are still white?!?

Yeah that's true. One of the wheels snapped in half too, so they seemed to have a similar brittle-ness but not the discoloring. I guess it could have been stored where the sun was directly hitting the top but I agree odd that the other things were still the same coloring as original.