trains with lights

25 Replies, 16928 Views

You can do much of your own research by reviewing the Trains list at Hobby Search and browsing Ripleys amazing collection of Plarail Catalogs over the years. HERE and HERE
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
here r some trains tht came in a shipment a long time go. there are a lot more, but don't know these toys and little time to go through them.

oh yeah my picture dilemma.

super? let me have tht link again plz.

maybe i can get it right this time

those plarail catalogs were helpful. thx ripley.

there are toys in this box tht match.

including those "trains/cars" with the moving eyes. had no idea wht they were.

was wondering where those tunnels came from/ went to
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017, 01:26 AM by trevor369.)
(08-16-2017, 04:10 AM)trevor369 Wrote: whoaaaaaaaaaaa.
nice video!
just a few questions if i may...
#1) d-51 please elaborate on this "series" i put tht in quotes cuz i can only assume there is a line to this train.
#2) c-61? i don't know anything about this train or its line.

#3) if you r telling me tht u made the coaches and brake van a custom model, tht is to say u did tht on ur own... thts incredible.

#4) how many steam engines are there in plarail?

i took someones advice and "googled" trains with lights. up came a train. d-51 200 series.

wht is this train? how does it work? wht does it look like nib/complete?

As above, the 'd51' is the name of the train, they are plarail items and have a nice drive unit, they are available on eBay, the d51 takes a c size battery and has the factory head light
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152551186891

The c61 again takes a c battery and has the factory headlight,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121744757649

I have both these locos and think they are great, I like the drive units as they are quiet, and they are quicker than trackmaster locos,

There are a few plarail steam locos but some have the motor in the tender instead of the loco, I prefer the ones with the motored in the loco as they operate better on the automatic points and don't seem to derail as often

Yeah I put the leds in the carriages they worked well but as they were LED's they were really bright, some carriages worked better than others! here are a few others I did,

If you're looking to get some Plarail steam locomotives that aren't Thomas characters, the current D51 and C61 are excellent. They are easy to find, reasonably priced, well balanced, powerful and generally run quite well. Oh, and they both have headlights (albeit a bit dim).

In real life, both are well-known Japanese locomotives. The D51 was a heavy freight engine in the 2-8-2 wheel configuration (US Mikado class) while the C61 was primarily a passenger engine with a 4-6-4 wheel configuration (US Hudson class). Both are closely related as the C61s were actually rebuilt from D51s because of the decrease in freight traffic and concurrent increase in passenger traffic on post-WW2 Japanese railways.

I should also mention that the Thomas character Hiro is part of the D51 class. The Plarail Hiro even shares some of his engineering with the current D51-200.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
(08-17-2017, 09:56 PM)Tramp Wrote: Yeah I put the leds in the carriages they worked well but as they were LED's they were really bright, some carriages worked better than others! here are a few others I did,

You could do various things to dull down the LED's a bit, for a start use some coloured film to warm it a bit if you're using white ones, or use a bit of grease=proof paper to difuse them a little.

Another way of dimming them a little if you are using individual LED's is to put a resistor inline to limit the current, if you're using the strip type (5050's?) then I don't think this is so much of an option. Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017, 09:48 PM by Super.)
wow! alot of information!
this was a bulk buy. a lot of pieces. some loose some with the box.
however, with all of your help, i have been able to string some trains togehter.
#1) the d-51= 1 engine and coal tender. but how many coaches? there are at least a dozen here. furthermore, some coaches "open" should there be some characters here?
#2) c-61. is this the model with: an engine a tender AND another engine with a tender, tht also, in addition, has a front coupler to attach?
does this make sense?