My Grandpa's Trains

5 Replies, 7024 Views

With all these posts about 'how we got into trains' I thought I'd share. My grandad has always been into trains he's an active member of the local live steam club RDMES he regularly runs trains and owns a few (some are on the process of being built) today whilst visiting, my son wanted to have a look around in his workshop, so whilst we were looking I decided to take some photos, he has x3 in the stages of being built, one is just a chassis (so no photos) but here are the other x2

[Image: D49AF1B2-5BEC-4624-9CFB-834888776464_zpsfqj5r4ea.jpg]

[Image: FA87AA7B-38E1-48E6-A29F-2228A6572933_zpskekw5zqr.jpg]

The intention is for it to be this train,
[Image: BD080281-E83C-4D6F-A08F-5F1FC57FFD94_zpsm7aste0v.jpg]
This train is talyllyn, and was the basis for scarloey on thomas, this model is 5" gauge but still requires plenty of work,

The next train is
[Image: 5B525D47-3CE9-4062-8940-CEFDF6A0EA67_zps7cewiqeq.jpg]

[Image: 96F4D97D-8AD9-41C5-942D-E8D45BEDCD74_zps2eotxdgk.jpg]

He said it was Swiss but didn't elaborate more, it is a 3.5" gauge,

Next is his rolling stock,

[Image: A2EA6C28-C257-45B2-8B87-B0C6B4AA1BA6_zps5wtyesm0.jpg]

He has a single truck and a brake van (GWR) designed so he can sit on the brake van with his feet in the truck and drive the loco, on of the nice touches about the truck is it's serial number

[Image: BEB0E855-454D-4EEB-8630-1371D61D74E3_zpse1lvschh.jpg]

My date of birth!
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014, 09:40 PM by Tramp.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tramp's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine
Fantastic Tramp

Thank you for sharing all of this. The photos are great and what a super Grandad to include your birth date disguised as a serial number.

Will these be real working steam engines? I am not sure what the inches means for the gauge. Surely its not rail width as these trains are ride-able right? What a great shed he has to play in. And the RDMES web page is awesome. I especially liked the videos. The Green Dragon is quite fast. Oh, wow, look at that F7 Santa Fe...sweet
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Fantastic post Tramp, your grandfather seems to be a nice fellow! Cool trains
From Thomas To Today's Modern Diesels, They're All A Part Of My Rail-Yard!
awesome stuff!! thanks for sharing
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
i want him as my grandfather
Thanks he's a great guy, he used to take me to the local preservation lines when I was younger and he took me to York train museum once! Probably where my appreciation of trains came from. He has a Diesel engine as well, next time I see it I will get a picture, it runs a garelli 2 stroke moped engine, I can remember driving it when I was younger. I'd like to get into something like this when I have more time on my hands, at the moment having young kids keeps me busy and out of my workshop!