Holy Cow! What Motor is This?

8 Replies, 15207 Views

Holy Cow! What Motor is This? No gears? Friction driven?

[Image: 0459_zps7ee3ca17.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine
This is one of the TAKARA TOMY Corporation's earliest motors, where the switch was at the very front of the engine; it operates like the current TOMY motors, but was built differently due to concept plans back then. It's a very rare locomotive to come by nowadays, as is that Thomas & Friends red express coach. Nice finds.

(05-31-2014, 08:12 PM)Super Wrote: Holy Cow! What Motor is This? No gears? Friction driven?

[Image: 0459_zps7ee3ca17.jpg]
Residential train-afficionado in training, and Thomas & Friends fan.

[-] The following 1 user Likes HankAmericanEngine's post:
  • Super
The early trains (not sure of dates but probably pre mid eighties) used a metal drive unit with rollers contacting the drive wheels for power. The switch is also at the front on the underside - Quite collectable. The series 1 Disney trains are like this too.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2016, 02:16 PM by Super.)
Just a friction wheel? The motor is quite large, must have a large gear from the motor shaft to the friction shaft.

[Image: 0459_zps1c4cab99.jpg]
HankAmericanEngine Wrote:as is that Thomas & Friends red express coach.
I used to think the red express coach was rare and from the Thomas series only. On yahoo there are bulk lots of upto 6 red express coaches listed often. I'm not 100% sure but it came with the early non Thomas trains that predate the Thomas series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toys_Trains-Things's post:
  • Super
BTW Toy-Trains_Things...you are typing quite well one handed!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Toys_Trains-Things
(05-31-2014, 08:35 PM)Toys_Trains-Things Wrote:
HankAmericanEngine Wrote:as is that Thomas & Friends red express coach.
I used to think the red express coach was rare and from the Thomas series only. On yahoo there are bulk lots of upto 6 red express coaches listed often. I'm not 100% sure but it came with the early non Thomas trains that predate the Thomas series.

The coaches were also sold separately in stores across Asia; I've yet to even locate one of those sort of lots, as I am in need of some of those sorts of coaches.
Residential train-afficionado in training, and Thomas & Friends fan.

[-] The following 1 user Likes HankAmericanEngine's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
(05-31-2014, 08:27 PM)Super Wrote: But no gears to the wheel axle? Just a friction wheel?

[Image: 0459_zps1c4cab99.jpg]

Correct. No slipper clutch either - the mechanical piece that clicks when the train is stuck. The slip of the roller to wheel was all that allowed for jams. Inside the drive unit is also brass/metal gears.

(05-31-2014, 08:38 PM)Super Wrote: BTW Toy-Trains_Things...you are typing quite well one handed!

Iphone! You notice there are only a few links though. Links, images, etc are harder with one hand. Only 4 weeks to go. Sad
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014, 08:44 PM by Toys_Trains-Things.)
(05-31-2014, 08:38 PM)HankAmericanEngine Wrote: I've yet to even locate one of those sort of lots, as I am in need of some of those sorts of coaches.

I just checked my to sell box and I have one green coach just like the red one above if you are interested. You can have it for just the cost of postage my friend. I use to have several red or green ones that would come in large lots of train but since we don't fancy them so much I always add them in to a rolling stock lot sale of my own. Maybe that why the bidding would always be so high for those lots...not that I am complaining. Big Grin