Plarail EF63 Sound Set

38 Replies, 31198 Views

Oh, wow, that is certainly unusual...but why, I wonder. DI see it needs movement to activate the sound, how is that switch moved? Does it only hit the switch when magnetized and if so, is the sound continuous. Is there no sound unless it is coupled to the other (green) engine? I don't get it...why in the coupling?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Good questions. I am hoping to learn more as for now I am not sure either. The one I have and tried to repair I hav had no luck yet. It seems as though he switch on the coupling just makes the sound when it is coupled up to the green (or presumably other magnetic coupler) engine. I do have the green engine that came in my lot but the shell is badley damaged, with a large hole in the top. I may be able to still use be coupler though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Look forward to hearing more.
Wow, I think I see why they break! I can’t imagine that tiny switch surviving more than a couple days in the hands of a five year old.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • ripley802, Super
In my recent auction wins from a japan I received two of the EF63 sound engines and one powered engine. One of the sound cars had some corrosion on a battery terminal but appears to work. What I found was, the idle sound and coupling sound worked fine, but no sound when moving. He other unit seemed to have idle sound and sound when moving but no coupling sound.

I took a look a the one with corrosion and it appears that it leaked all he way into the switch hay controls the sound when the car moves. The other engine I have no taken apart yet but assume it is the coupling switch that has a wire disconnected.

Here are some pics:
[Image: F6051_A04-_D116-4_F54-_B436-_DAF19_BDFD994.jpg]
[Image: 18_E2_F9_B4-_C2_AD-4443-9_FB0-9967_D557_CBFC.jpg]
[Image: C868_A890-107_F-48_EB-940_A-9_C207_BA91196.jpg]
[Image: B77_FC741-_C677-48_BE-8_F26-_B124_E1_B624_E3.jpg]
[Image: C868_A890-107_F-48_EB-940_A-9_C207_BA91196.jpg]
[Image: 6_EC73_C1_C-_BB4_D-4685-_A28_E-8_D75725_C027_C.jpg]
  • MuddyPoppins
The Wizard is at work [Image: wizard.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
I figured I would but this one here too. This is apprently a “very rare” EF63 sound set that is hard to find. I missed one on the Japan auctions that went toooo high, and then found this one. The thing is, the seller has it for 4800¥ on the Japan auctions, but also they have it on eBay for $150 USD. I messaged them on eBay to see if it was the same one and they said yes. This one is not complete with the other non-motorized 3-car Asama Set and the sound doesn’t work. The seller said they would take $98 through eBay, but that is still a bit too much. Anyway, if anyone sees one of these for a good price please let me know.

EF63-24 / EF63-25 - listed as “Nagano Shinkansen 10th anniversary special set ”

[Image: DB334_C31-_E4_CE-4_F96-8_D3_B-2_C4_E1_F371315.jpg]
  • Super
I have often wondered about the history behind the brown EF63 as you rarely see them on the Japan Auctions. Do know anything about the history of their release Ripley?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
No, nothing really. Other than how the seller is listing it as “10th Anniversary special set,” but I am not sure how accurate that is either. I have not seen a box yet for this set but the other 3-Car train that comes with it is a different color scheme, sort of red and cream colors.
  • Super
Isn't it odd that he would say its the “Nagano Shinkansen 10th anniversary special set”? Whats an Electric Freight Engine have to do with a Shinkansen? Do you remember what type of train coupled to it that was red and cream or maybe a Link? I am having trouble searching.