Trackmaster Knapford Station Question

33 Replies, 37624 Views

Does anyone know if the Trackmaster Knapford Station uses a AA battery and if so what does it do? In the pictures I have seen it looks to have a battery compartment.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Tons of Trackmasters
I never had one, but I can tell that part is not a battery cover. If it were, it would've had a screw and the word "open" with one or two arrows embossed on it. However, the old Motor Road and Rail Cranky had a large crate as the battery cover, with no such indication. No special feature is advertised on any of the boxes this came in, so it's most likely just a removable piece that happens to have that tab.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
Thanks Da-lag

I did notice as you say but because I have not had one in my hands didn't know if it may have been a hinged, snap to open/close door. The box says that it takes 1 AA battery but maybe they meant that for the Thomas engine that supposedly comes with it. I am curious as to what is under this as it looks as if its separate from the operation of the stop/go tracks. I think I may like to get my hands on one of these some day for some customization's.
you can't open the door in question. I checked underneath, you can't access it either. that area has something to do with the stopping the train switch
[-] The following 3 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super, Ucwepn, WoodWheel92
Thanks Leyland

From the looks of this picture, it looks that the area below that green thing has a separate access panel. I am going to try to get my hands on one of these as my curiosity has really gotten me because the way I see it, the layout of the levers to operate the stop/go tracks are right in line with them and this green thing is next to all that. I am wondering it this station was to have some battery powered action originally and they nixed the idea after the forms were already made for the plastic and before distribution...I am really curious, especially since over each track, on one side, is a clear sign with the numbered rail which is strange since you would think at least the number would be painted so it could easily be seen but aren't. Add to that, a thicker piece of green plastic over those signs could of held the wires and bulbs. Those clear signs could have been originally thought to be lit red or green depending on the position of the stop/go tracks. Wow...I wonder...Just thinking out loud....but very curious.

[Image: s-l1k600.jpg]

[Image: s-l1r600.jpg]

[Image: sd-l1600.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, ripley802, Tons of Trackmasters
I finally got my hands on one of these Knapford Stations, complete, with both domes, and in excellent condition. Aaaaand...all my strategic guessing (see all above) is actually true, all of it. This station was originally constructed for lights using 3 AAA battery's and an on/off switch exactly where I though. The wiring ran through the chaseway above the clear track number signs where inside there is wiring guides and a place for an LED in each of the 4 signs. I am going to have a lot of fun modifying this baby. I wonder why they scrapped the idea after designing and manufacturing?

[Image: image.jpg][Image: image.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, ripley802, ThomasBlue, WoodWheel92
Very kewl!!
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
That’s awesome Super. Will you use track converters to adapt to your standard grey Tomy track or try and modify he track as well? The LEDs will look really cool in this, can’t wait to see it done.
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
I already had the Tomy to Trackmaster adapters on order in preparation for getting one of these stations to modify. Does any know if they make these adapters in like a gray color rather than the tan? I wouldn't have minded the color but they decided to make the Stations deck a different color than the normal Trackmaster color track.
You may want to trey this seller. I have not used them yet, but have been thinking or ordering the M to M connectors.

https://ebay.com/usr/trainlab

They seem to have a variety of colors and the quality looks good.
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super