2014 Trackmaster redesign

157 Replies, 292903 Views

and if the picture you posted above is accurate Percy is running in the wrong direction for optimal grip meaning these are one way tracks.
The picture was from the link Jdogman gave for the Ebay listing HERE. Its the only close up picture I could find of the new tracks. Something to keep in mind for your review.

I think that the grooves may look angled in the picture but my guess is that it is the lighting & shadowing tricking the eye and in fact they would be straight up but again that is what I feel.

I should have added to my comments that if the the above tester was trying show how the newly designed engines run on the existing tracks and accessories then the test results would be complete..
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(06-13-2014, 12:12 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: I feel sorry for the people who have invested heavily in the current Trackmaster track and accessories all new releases will no longer be compatible and vice versa, All they had to do was fit a slightly upgraded motor and add a bit more weight that would provide the speed and grip without the horrid tractor like redesign. And with this switch to new track I just have to wonder how long will this new track be around? the current Trackmaster track has been around for about 10 years or so. Plarail is the way to go these days I think. Overall the community for the most part is not happy with the changes judging by the comments on the videos.
I'm upset about it. I have almost 5 bins on nothing but track and accessories, and now it's all going to heck!

(06-13-2014, 12:40 AM)Trackmaster-Rail-Yard Wrote:
(06-13-2014, 12:12 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: I feel sorry for the people who have invested heavily in the current Trackmaster track and accessories all new releases will no longer be compatible and vice versa, All they had to do was fit a slightly upgraded motor and add a bit more weight that would provide the speed and grip without the horrid tractor like redesign. And with this switch to new track I just have to wonder how long will this new track be around? the current Trackmaster track has been around for about 10 years or so. Plarail is the way to go these days I think. Overall the community for the most part is not happy with the changes judging by the comments on the videos.
I'm upset about it. I have almost 5 bins on nothing but track and accessories, and now it's all going to heck!
Doesn't matter if we are upset are not Fisher Price could care less. They are just trying to make a quick buck.
From Thomas To Today's Modern Diesels, They're All A Part Of My Rail-Yard!
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2014, 12:49 AM by Trackmaster-Rail-Yard.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Trackmaster-Rail-Yard's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine
Ok I have the set, I reviewed the set and I am just speechless. It wouldn't even run on tomy track, it gets stuck at every track join, switch and stop and go, the tires are a hard pvc type plastic/rubber, the coupling barely holds a hook due to the gap in it and the flimsyness. The new tracks are flimsy and 1 or 2 seemed to be warped and would not sit flat on the table. The material of the tracks is the worst plastic I have ever seen and they seemed to have stolen the track connector idea from Kato or Bachmann, these are difficult to clip together and difficult to unclip.

I don't yet know if I will upload the review, its so scathing it will change my channel forever for the worst and I don't think this product deserves to be on my channel. Its the first and last set/train I will be buying from this new Trackmaster unless they make changes. I will be stripping Thomas down to see what he looks like and if a rear axle swap is possible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine
(06-13-2014, 02:54 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: Ok I have the set, I reviewed the set and I am just speechless. It wouldn't even run on tomy track, it gets stuck at every track join, switch and stop and go, the tires are a hard pvc type plastic/rubber, the coupling barely holds a hook due to the gap in it and the flimsyness. The new tracks are flimsy and 1 or 2 seemed to be warped and would not sit flat on the table. The material of the tracks is the worst plastic I have ever seen and they seemed to have stolen the track connector idea from Kato or Bachmann, these are difficult to clip together and difficult to unclip.

I don't yet know if I will upload the review, its so scathing it will change my channel forever for the worst and I don't think this product deserves to be on my channel. Its the first and last set/train I will be buying from this new Trackmaster unless they make changes. I will be stripping Thomas down to see what he looks like and if a rear axle swap is possible.

It's a shame that it was so poorly designed; if it's that difficult to work with, I'm sure parents will not be too happy. I'd recommend uploading it as a private video, then messaging the links to users on here to share your thoughts and to hear what they have to say in response.
Residential train-afficionado in training, and Thomas & Friends fan.

I'm going to upload it when I calm down a bit. I really wanted to like it, I really wanted it to be good!
(06-13-2014, 03:20 AM)Ucwepn Wrote: I'm going to upload it when I calm down a bit. I really wanted to like it, I really wanted it to be good!

I understand the frustrations, but I'm reserving judgment until I procure Gator, and hopefully Marion(if the lazy sods ever decide to make her); going to see just how "improved" these engines are. If detail is their main goal, I think everyone knows they lost that battle since the announcement and presentation of photographs.

OH my...that bad?

[Image: wow-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • HankAmericanEngine
I think so, Super. Even a parent on YouTube didn't think that this was a very good idea.

[-] The following 1 user Likes HankAmericanEngine's post:
  • Super
The loco mechanism is good right, has a very simple mechanism (the most simple so far) a spur gear straight from the motor to the drive axle, the motor has a green end cap but it's not a power dash. It cannot free roll but that doesn't matter too much. A wheel/drive axle swap is not possible due to an all new smaller wheel design. tire replacement is not possible due to there being no lip to hold it in place plus they are too big (regular tires). No traction is my biggest and only issue with the locomotive apart from the looks. After close inspection the activator on the bottom near the drive axle (the bit that pushes on auto points etc) is far too low and the loco is bottoming out far too easily and becoming beached on plarail track.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • Super, thehsvdude