Yesterday 05:50 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 4364
Storage Bins
Last Post: Ucwepn
Yesterday 10:46 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 116

Modification Planning - Suggestions Please?
Ok guys (and gals Smile), I've been talking about converting and maybe weathering a model once I found a suitable donor model (i.e. one that is not in mint condition).

Well I've found one, a nice 0-6-0 LBSC tank loco (see here)

What I'm after is suggestions on which Thomas character to convert this too? Why a Thomas character? Well for a start it doesn't have a boiler cover on the front so no need to remove it to add a face lol!!

I know this isn't a terrier, but I was thinking maybe this would work as 'Stepney'?

Your thoughts?...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
You should do Thomas.
Model trains or TOMY? Huh I don't know, I just don't know.
Why Thomas? Hornby already make a model of him, I was thinking maybe one of the more obscure characters that aren't available - I would try Oliver but I need an 0-4-2 donor for that Smile
Rosie?
Why not make up your own character? That way your creativity has no bounds or limits of what it should look like. How about Benji, Gladys, Einstein, Falstaff, Gray Dog, Super, King Fish, Spinner, Wainright, Gargamill, Paddle Foot, Widget, Freud...the ideas are endless.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Sorry. I was going to say just kidding, do this character, but didn't have any other ideas. Although, thinking about it, Duck would be an interesting choice.
Model trains or TOMY? Huh I don't know, I just don't know.
Hornby have already made models of Stepney and Duck although they are very hard to find
[Image: IMG_2627.jpg]
(04-14-2018, 01:19 PM)Tharazero1 Wrote: Hornby have already made models of Stepney and Duck although they are very hard to find

Duck can be got reasonably easy in the UK, home of Hornby, but its not as common as the main characters Thomas, Percy, Gordon, James, Edward. However Duck would be an easy conversion if you picked up a 0-6-0 GWR Pannier Tank as that's what he's based on.

Stepney seems to be almost as rare as hens teeth as is Emily, however it seems the rarest so far is Spencer which is odd as that would be an easy conversion as well. All you would need is an example of one of the silver A4's such as Silver Link or Silver Fox and a new face (might even be able to rob one off a Tomy example.

(04-14-2018, 11:19 AM)Super Wrote: Why not make up your own character? That way your creativity has no bounds or limits of what it should look like. How about Benji, Gladys, Einstein, Falstaff, Gray Dog, Super, King Fish, Spinner, Wainright, Gargamill, Paddle Foot, Widget, Freud...the ideas are endless.

I may just do that, I could create 'Nigel' and give him a funky livery Smile Although if I were to do a 'Nigel' I should probably find an A3/A4 donor and call him "Sir Nigel Gresley" with a cool paint job Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Super, Tharazero1
smokebox doors for just about every model can be found on ebay, try and bring it back to it's former glory!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • Super
Now there's a thought ucwpn, in some ways a renovation rather than customisation would be kinder, especially as I don't recall seeing so many of this model.

Maybe I should save the experiments for a newer tatty more common donor...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Ok, well that donor loco turned up (it's an E2 class 0-6-0 tank loco) and I've decided that I will instead of converting it will take UCEWPN's suggestion of renovation instead Smile

My reasoning being;
  • It's in way better condition than the original listing showed, sure its missing a smoke box door and its dusty, but apart from that its pretty much complete.
  • It runs beautifully, a bit of oil and a service to remove any fluff/debris and it will be a great little loco
  • I don't actually have one of these class of loco's and its a lovely looking livery!

Anyway, to illustrate what I mean here's a couple of pics of her;

[Image: IMG_20180418_182437783.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20180418_182447018.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20180418_182458091.jpg]
  • Super
That last picture reminds me of what a real one looks like in the shed when they repair/clean the boilers in real life including the scale that was removed and is sitting on the boiler plate in front of the open boiler.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Nigels
Dead right super, I may even leave that 'debris' there for realism reasons - I wonder if I can fit the new smoke box door on a hinge somehow, now that would be cool, could even fit some steam pipes inside then Smile
  • Super
I want to say I have seen brass or white metal doors with hinges on the...at least that is what my head is telling me.
Quite likely, it all depends if they would be the correct size and/or suitable for this model Smile
  • Super