Awesome bridge kit

11 Replies, 13599 Views

Although intended for HO/OO gauge railway this bridge should work just as well for BPT layouts, what do you think super? I know you love your bridges

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-HO-Gauge-D...1438.l2649
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • mod thana, Off The Rails, WoodWheel92
I like that! I’ve considered model railroad bridges for situations where the standard Plarail and Trackmaster bridges don’t fit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
Gosh darn you Nigels... Angry ...I have got several projects started including 3 on my desk right now, many more waiting in the wings and lots on the drawing board and you wave this in front of me. Dodgy I like it and am intrigued by the use of MDF rather than cardboard at about 1/8" thick. Doing some calculations with the measurements for this bridge it looks like it may work although the length would be odd for Plarail but that could be do-able and the clearance may be OK.

I was hoping to find a distributor here in the States but it looks like they only can be had from the UK. More research reveals that this is actually a World War Scenic company and I am also interested in some of their other bridges and buildings. https://www.war-world.co.uk/index.php/sc...24:22:::39 I think I may grab some things to add to the long list of projects I have now. I was hoping to find more videos on some of their other bridges and buildings but I did manage to find one on the bridge you posted about. Looks cool...

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • mod thana, Nigels
Sorry dude, but I know bridges like tankers are one of the things that push your buttons so I figured I should at least let you in on them. I've actually ordered one of the ones I linked to as they seem a steal at the price, I want to see how well made they are and how they look in the flesh etc... so expect some pictrues/reviews soon.

If you want some of their models I'm more than happy to act as a middleman for you, just drop me a PM Smile

I should have added that one I linked to is a dual HO/OO track bridge, so will easily accomodate a single track of blue bridge with prenty of height clearance I would expect. But there are others such as lattice work that do not have 'tops' as such, so they would work if height were to be an issue....
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2018, 10:26 PM by Nigels.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • mod thana
LOL....its not your fault I have no will power Nigels. Blush Thank you for the offer, I may take you up on that but first I want to hear more about the bridge when you get yours because the bowstring may or may not work with Plarail. Here is my concern...the measurements seem to be OK but when you take in effect that you take away an 1/8 of an inch on both the top and bottom for the thickness of the MDF I am thinking that because of the curve of the upper bow that those first cross beams may be too low for a Plarail train plus the track so I will look forward to hear about your first hand opinion. Doesn't look like it would take long to build. Now, even if a Plarail train won't fit on the bowstring bridge here is an option....the motorized Plarail/Tomy autos and trucks on the road track. This picture is from the same YouTuber who made the video above showing 2 bowstring bridges back to back used with a road surface. Might work great with the Tomy road tracks.

[Image: itled.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • mod thana, Nigels
Now that's what I love to see, parallel thinking, they look ideal for that also Smile
  • Super
Here you go Super my bridge arrived yesterday, I constructed it and find plarail will fit under it easily, room for two road tracks as well, have a look;

[Image: IMG_20180511_084129908.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180511_084152721.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180511_084205540.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180511_084215843.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Chrizzly, fred16850, Off The Rails, Super
One question: Would this actually support the weight of 2 'C' battery trains once it's suspended? That wood looks pretty weak to me.Huh
Collecting without a clue since 2010
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrizzly's post:
  • Super
Oh, My...that looks awesome. How long did it take you to assemble? Thanks Nigels. Smile

EDIT:
I just noticed there is a difference between the one you have and the one in the video....but also the price Wink This must be the one from the video https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/shop...16fd43adaa
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Chrizzly
(05-11-2018, 10:08 AM)Chrizzly Wrote: One question: Would this actually support the weight of 2 'C' battery trains once it's suspended? That wood looks pretty weak to me.Huh

I don't think it would have a problem, the spars all interlock and the sides are double skinned so all together its pretty strong. It's designed to take OO gauge trains, which if you get the larger pacifics are probably heavier than a PlaRail carrying a 'C' cell, besides don't forget you also have the stiffness of the actual PlaRAil track as well, if you were to use the dual road track it would be very stiff.

(05-11-2018, 10:25 AM)Super Wrote: Oh, My...that looks awesome. How long did it take you to assemble? Thanks Nigels. Smile

EDIT:
I just noticed there is a difference between the one you have and the one in the video....but also the price Wink This must be the one from the video https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/shop...16fd43adaa

Virtually no time at all, the pieces are all pre-cut very accurately with the majority of the smaller pieces already removed from the actual bridge sections. I guess including gluing it together it took me maybe 15-20 minutes in total, then I just left it overnight for the glue to cure.

Yes, the one I have is different to the one you posted, that one is either smaller or is taller, but I suspect the former. The one I bought was only just over £12 off eBay (buy it now price) with free UK shipping. But there are quite a few variations on eBay from the same seller including a lattice bridge without a top at all if you're really worried about clearance, although with Oliver there is an easy 3/4" free air under the lowest cross brace. Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2018, 07:31 PM by Nigels.)
  • Super