What type of Thomas is this?

25 Replies, 16740 Views

Yes which photo is which?
The first photo looks like is has the side rivet of a T'nA, but the later photo of the train on a turn, looks like a 50 phrase coupler. Right?
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018, 10:09 AM by Super.)
(06-03-2018, 06:18 AM)Muddy Poppins Wrote: Yes which photo is which?

Here's a comparison - left= YT video of Talk N Action, right= listing pic. Definitely TnA..with no wires through it!? Idea Undecided
[Image: het.jpg]
If it is s T'nA coupler in the first photo it appears to be stripped of its wires, since I don't see any exposed...it's definitely not a steam along coupler either.
Wow- we posted our responses at the same exact minute! Haha! ^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes StarSwitcher07's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
[Image: image.png]
This is photo is definitely a 50 phrase coupler.
^Yep, that ones from a video of the 50 phrase, in response to Ripley. The first 2 pictures in the thread are from the listing Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes StarSwitcher07's post:
  • Super
Well changing out the stock shell for a Thomas looking down on a 50 phrase chassis was as easy as this:

[Image: image.jpg]
But since it has a white deck(and T'nA's don't) my best guess is that it's a Thomas looking down with a gutted T'nA coupler attached to a standard Annie... I hope that I am wrong and that you have found something rare and unknown, but I also hope that your not paying very much to find out either. :S
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • ripley802, Super
I like me a good detective story but I wish we had more to go on.

My, uneducated, 2 cents...I agree that when I first saw this I was guessing that it could have been a normal Annie but, a normal Annie has her 'Hook' on her front face side and would have a short vertical slot in her shell to accommodate that and not a horizontal slot to accompany the side to side movement of that coupler on it right?. I also thought that they may have added that fixed coupler to a regular Thomas just so a child could not take it apart but this coupler has holes in it to go over a post which a normal Annie would not have. Also (see picture below) we can see that Annies axles looked to be fixed as you can see the metal whereas with Clarabel and original Annie you can not...right? To me, this would indicate that Annie has some mechanics inside her. Taking in all the testimony so far, I am in the arena of thinking that the reason the seller says it doesn't work is because the wire is missing and the original shell has been swapped, like Muddy says, with a looking down Thomas on a white plated Thomas chassis. Is this more food for thought?

Muddy, is this, looking down with a smile Thomas face rarer?

[Image: i-img1200x720-1527943390xrhycs149000.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
I would think that any nonstandard face Thomas would have far lesser production numbers than a standard model... I am still not sure what set the "looking down" version is from, but they aren't seen too often in the Japanese auctions either, so yes I would definitely consider them to be rare.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018, 06:35 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
So you don't have this looking down smiling face Muddy? I have seen a couple looking down faces but they weren't smiling more like a surprised or an ohhhhh mouth. This is really interesting.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins