LNER D49(?)

5 Replies, 7030 Views

Got this Hornby LNER class D49 (I think that's what class it is...) some years ago, because I really wanted to have a British steam locomotive!

[Image: 20180709_140954-1024x453.jpg]

Interesting how the motor is in the tender and it just pushes the engine along...
[-] The following 5 users Like Jaytrain1's post:
  • , MuddyPoppins, Nigels, Off The Rails, Super
She is a beauty. Do you think that the motor being in the Tender has anything to do with the size of those 4 middle wheels on the engine?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
That is a class D49/1 or often called a 'Hunt' or 'Shire' class locomotive, the majority being named for locations in the UK, for example this one being called 'Cheshire'.

It is in real life a 4-4-0 locomotive with the 4 main wheels being the drive wheels, Hornby made a lot of tender drive locomotives as it is somewhat easier to make them in this way, easier to maintain and to keep the production costs down. Some people don't like them as they feel they do not run as smoothly as a locomotive powered model, but in my experience it depends on the model. I've got some tender powered loco's which are smoother running than some loco powered ones. Smile

Regardless its a lovely locomotive Jay, congrats Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
The LNER era of steam produced such beautiful engines, majestic yet powerful.
[-] The following 2 users Like fred16850's post:
  • Nigels, Super
Have to agree Fred, they were so much more beautiful than those produced by the other companies for the most part and a lot of it down to one man 'Sir Nigel Gresley', the designer of the classes that included the Flying Scotsman and the Mallard just to name two of the more famous locomotives.
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • fred16850, Super
It's interesting that one of his A4s was named after him, but it is definitely well deserved..
[-] The following 1 user Likes fred16850's post:
  • Super