Old 21 a Customized Trackmaster Lexi

31 Replies, 28227 Views

Lexi No More...Introducing Old 21

Lexi is completely revamped to run on Tomy or original Trackmaster rails. Her new chassis sports a middle wheel and Plarail Steamer wheels. Would you believe that the custom headlight is only a 1.5 volt? Pretty darn bright if you ask me. I had to use my new Multimeter to figure out where on the train was a place to connect 1.5volts because the Trackmaster II's use 2 AAA battery's. The oil & water Tender was customized using a Trackmaster flatbed and I think it looks much better than the stubby one that came with Lexi. Her chassis was also modified to run on Tomy and original Trackmaster rails however because the activation tab is now removed she doesn't work on the Plarail Transfer Stations of the Auto Switches. There is also one other problem and I assume because of the slightly bigger Plarail wheels, the bump on the roof of her cab bumps into any 3" riser's when passing underneath but she has no problem with the Subway Tunnels as you can see in the video.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like Super's post:
  • kmott, Nigels, Off The Rails, Ucwepn
I’m looking forward to seeing it! I wondered what the status of this project was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
Snapshots are done, now going to do a short video as this will be the final video for the Layout as the dust accumulation has become unbearable. Another reason why I like these trains as opposed to creating a life-like Layout using HO trains. I honestly don't know how they combat the dust on those especially with all the light weight landscaping materials.
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails, ripley802
Dave Frary covered layout cleaning in his book on model railroad scenery. Basically, you vacuum as much as you can, using those small attachments made for cleaning electronics where necessary. You scrub down hard surfaces like roads, water ways and structures with soapy water and soft brushes. You spray large areas of foliage with diluted green washes, repaint and add new flocking and ground cover where needed.

There’s a section on preparing the layout room to mitigate some of the dust problems, like sealing bare concrete and installing walls and ceilings in basements, air filtration and so on.

You’ve got to imagine that cleaning and maintenance is a full time job on those big public layouts. Imagine having to clean Miniature Wonderland in Germany!
  • Super
(08-09-2018, 11:24 PM)Off The Rails Wrote: Imagine having to clean Miniature Wonderland in Germany!

Oh my...you are right...and on that huge Layout they would probably have to been suspended from the ceiling to get to some of the areas.
ARRRRGH!  When I went to edit all the video clips............Old 21 picked up a big piece of dust on his headlight that I didn't notice which showed up obnoxiously in the clips.
All clips trashed and now to start over ARRRRRGH! [Image: angry-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Dang.... I’m sorry to hear that! I’m still really looking forward to seeing the finished product.
  • Super
Its Okay, Its not going to be a long video, I just hate doing things over.
(08-10-2018, 07:06 PM)Super Wrote: ARRRRGH!  When I went to edit all the video clips............Old 21 picked up a big piece of dust on his headlight that I didn't notice which showed up obnoxiously in the clips.
All clips trashed and now to start over ARRRRRGH! [Image: angry-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif]

And grrrrrrrrr....I've been continuously checking in here, and stalking your YouTube site since you first posted, and had been wondering and waiting to see it too!
Sorry you had to scrap the video and start over:/ Sometimes the second take turns out to be better after seeing improvements that could have been made in the first! Smile
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
Sorry Muddy, I have new clips in the can and I should be able to edit and get the video up later today after Football (USA) practice. [Image: football-tackle-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins