Model Kits

63 Replies, 50997 Views

That looks really good. I like the oil stain detailing on the underside. So did you create the open canopy and door yourself?

Wow, you really know a lot about all the different manufactures of these model kits. You must have been interested in this hobby for a long time.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • FlyingFordFalcon
Thanks, Super Smile The canopy isn't really designed to be left open as from the rear it has the same profile as the smaller piece of glass that goes behind it - a bit of force was used to make it spread a bit and sit properly. That said, if the canopy isn't supposed to be left open then I have no idea why the door was a separate part.

As for being interested in the hobby for a long time, I've been interested in models of pretty much everything for a long time. Except tanks. Because trains are my favourite subject for models and after accidentally happening upon some Dapol kits on eBay some years ago, it makes sense that I would try to hunt down some more options. After all, if given the option of getting 4, 5 ,6 trains etc. that don't move to populate a layout for the price of one that does, I think I know which I'd go for. That and I don't have a layout or the space for one so display pieces for a fraction of the cost are okay by me.
What and how do you with completed models that aren't on display. You must have many since you have been doing this for so long. Is there a re-sale value for completed models much?
Haha Big Grin I do have a few kits built but for real I haven't been doing this as long as my posts may suggest. I built my first model around 2007 but in the space between then and now I haven't exactly been super active making them. From memory I've only completed about 11 kits with another 10 or so half built and left that way for several years. Out of the 10 I remember having finished, only 4 are actually painted. Tongue I would like to finish some of the half done kits I have laying around such as the Airfix Cutty Sark and Revell Harbour Tug.
Nothing personal! Model build was my first serious hobby and I still love it but there’s never any time for me to do it these days.

I was hoping to apply my dormant model building skills to constructing an HO scale village for our Christmas layout. However, two of the main structures I have I purchased already built!

Most of my remaining (not) free time is going to completing a major kitchen repair and remodel in my 90 year old house.
(09-22-2018, 01:11 PM)Off The Rails Wrote: Most of my remaining (not) free time is going to completing a major kitchen repair and remodel in my 90 year old house.

Wait...I thought you were moving OTR?
Yeah, that’s the plan right now. I still have a lot of work at the current house to get it ready to sell. We’ve needed to move anyway but the major kitchen repairs were the last straw.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2018, 12:02 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
Okay so I went on a mini shopping spree here in Germany and bought myself a few more kits.

Tamiya 1:48 BF109 G-6
Airfix 1:48 BF109 E1/E-4 Trop
Airfix 1:48 Spitfire PR XIX
Revell 1:48 FW190 D9
Revell 1:72 Me262 A1-A
Airfix 1:600 RMS Mauretania

Aside from this, I saw two locomotive kits for sale; a 1:35 DB BR 52 Kriegslok, which I believe I listed on the previous page and also one I don't think I mentioned, an 1872 Vulcan Foundry 2-4-0 with 3 matching 4 wheeled coaches. I was extremely tempted but the thought of getting such a large box back home in my suitcase without damage sort of put me off.
[-] The following 2 users Like FlyingFordFalcon's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
A lot of modeling ahead for you F3
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Off The Rails
I bought a few more models on the way home - Revell's 1:144 Concorde and Tu-144, 1:72 Revell FW Ta-152 and P-51 Mustang as well as a 1:48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk Vb.

Despite making a start on any of the kits I bought or was planning to build before the trip, I entered a group build on a model forum with the topic being locomotives. Because I'm known to make things harder for myself, I decided rather than build either the Dapol Battle of Britain or Evening Star kits as they were intended, I would mash them together to create a rebuilt West Country/Battle of Britain class. I've already done most of the scary, irreversible tasks involving cutting up the boiler and frame parts from the two kits to get what I need. There are some fit issues which was to be expected given the parts aren't designed to be compatible, though the same could almost be said about the kits' intended uses.

I didn't just dive straight into it without any planning, so hopefully these few pictures help you understand my thought processes. I spend more time looking at parts and wondering how to make them fit than I do actually building the model.
[Image: a362ce8454.png]
[Image: 0451f47242.png]
[Image: 02261ae6eb.png]
[Image: 20181031_210939.jpg]

As you can see, it's sort of a waste of parts but if I desperately wanted to make use of the leftovers I'm sure I could knock up a decent looking fictional loco but at this point I'm willing to keep them for future projects. I do plan on doing another 'not as intended' Dapol kit in the future though I really should be working through all the kits I have already. I spent a lot of time drilling out the holes in the wheels as well for little visual improvement though once it's painted, it may make a huge difference. As for the colour of the loco? Let's just say that green isn't the only prototypical livery...
[-] The following 1 user Likes FlyingFordFalcon's post:
  • Super