Model Kits

63 Replies, 51656 Views

Decided to start another kit because I had a couple of days off. Originally I planned to build it in one day, then two and now it looks like three. It's a 1:48 Airfix Spitfire Mk. XIX and so far I'm liking the larger scale because it's easier to detail. I imagine kits can only get so big before they begin to get difficult again - not due to the extra detailing it can bring but just by the size of it. I may have to try 1:32 or even 1:24 to test that theory. Anyway, so far I've only done the interior and glued the fuselage halves and wings together. I only really need to mask off the various openings before I can start painting. This one is a photo reconnaissance Spit so it has extra parts for cameras. Whilst I would have built the canopy open anyway, I thought it a shame to waste the pretty parts by either not putting them in or covering them up all together so I had to cut out some of the hatches myself. There are markings on the inside of the fuselage to help with cutting out the right shape and also spare access panel parts to place in the open position.

[Image: 71ab929eb0.png]
[Image: 2d26b56753.png]

Aside from a few design issues with how the fuselage is moulded and how the propeller attaches to the plane, it's quite a good kit. I can't wait to see what it looks like finished.

- Tree
[-] The following 2 users Like FlyingFordFalcon's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
Very cool Tree, like the details and anxious to follow along.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
So the scores are in and how did I do? Not great...

[Image: 9ff2c63f1b.png]
[Image: 90cde05997.png]
[Image: 08ba6ee289.png]

But not bad either! I'm still happy with that. Smile

- Tree
[-] The following 1 user Likes FlyingFordFalcon's post:
  • Blueberry'S'
Those are fantastic. You did very well F3
Weeks turn to months so easily these days.

Everything arrived a few weeks ago but I've only just set them up last night. I can now spray in the house alongside my workbench which makes things a little easier for working at night. I decided to try pre-shading on the spitfire because it's larger and a bit easier to stay near the panel lines. After a few goes on separate pieces I felt like I had worked it out so had at the main event.

[Image: 5de7e3af5e.png]
[Image: 5df6fb1c04.png]
[Image: 45ac8f470f.png]
[Image: 215300a7ed.png]
[Image: 1c4797dd81.jpg]

I tried mixing some PRU blue but it ended up a bit darker and greyed out than what I'd wanted. It does depend on lighting though as in sunlight it is about right. Decals are provided in the kit for two variants - the one featured on the box which is blue with grey upper surfaces in RAF markings and another in blue all over with Swedish markings. I'm not a fan of the roundel for the all over blue one so I'll just use the decals for the RAF version regardless of whether it is historically accurate or not.

I've also gone and bought myself a new kit, an Airfix 1:72 Lancaster B.III and have a Tamiya 1:350 King George V on order. Something about the KGV class battleships really scratches my itch, so I might build the Revell 1:570 kit I've had for years next.

- Tree

If anyone is wondering why I now use - Tree instead of - FFF it's because most of my account names have been changed to Mr. Tree Man and while I would have changed it here too, I can't find the option in profile settings.
[-] The following 2 users Like FlyingFordFalcon's post:
  • Blueberry'S', Super
Very nice Airbrushing. So you sprayed the panel lines black after a primer coat. Did you then sand that down? What Airbrush Spray Booth did you get?
The spray booth is just a generic one from eBay that cost $99 shipped. It's about 40cm wide by 30 high. I'm a naughty boy and don't use primer because it's extra effort and generally Tamiya paints stick well to everything whenever I've used them. I sprayed the black over the panel lines is supposed to get gradually covered over with the blue until it's only just visible to represent fading. It's subtle but does make a big difference.
  • Super
Is that light built in the Spray Booth or something you added?
Built in though it doesn't travel well. I use two magnetic LEDs to light from the front for less shadows where I'm painting.
  • Super
Thats a great idea!