Stephenson's Rocket - Classic Archive Footage

7 Replies, 7100 Views

Ahem...

Some of the comments are as priceless as the movie extract itself.
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
Pretty cool to consider the time span involved here. The film was made nearly 100 years after the setting of the story and in turn, was produced nearly 100 years ago. Amazing to also realize that steam railroads go back nearly two centuries but their modern offspring remain a vital form of transportation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
Buster Keaton was a true genius and far ahead of his time! Thanks for sharingSmile
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
That is such a neat video. If this was made so long ago what material did they use for the rails that are so pliable especially the ones that were easily moved by those 2 fellas? Are we sure this is an old movie as the resolution looks so good? I do love that tunnel shaped like the engine and even for those riders to make it through. Thanks for sharing this.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Yes! The movie is called "Our Hospitality" Starring & Directed by Buster Keaton in 1923Smile
https://youtu.be/cRNObtP_Fgo
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
Thanks Muddy

The movie is a different take on the old Hatfield and McCoys feud but this one is the Canfields and McCays. I am amazed at the clarity of resolution and smoothness of the motion for a 1922 silent movie and Buster Keaton is somewhat young at about 28. I love the whole train part and had a big laugh at the rails run over the fallen tree trunk instead of moving it and the whole train made it over. I also loved the part with Keaton and his hat in the carriage. Still have just under an hour left to watch. Thanks for the Link Muddys
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Glad that you're liking it Super!Smile
Buster Keaton is one of my all time favorite entertainers...
His critically regarded masterpiece film is called "The General" (1928)
The General is the name of the western steamer to which the entire films plot is based...its spectacular ending was the most expensive production scene ever filmed for its day!!
Here's the link to it:
https://youtu.be/iHlBMKtgPOA
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
And now...Buster Keatons The General 1926 is Colorized, looks pretty nice. Compare the original with the colorized version below.